time machine back ups

Reaction score
If you move some back up folders from the main back up folder to a different place on the time machine/hardrive, will that always stop them from automatically getting deleted when you back up ??

help me out im desperate lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
I'm not real clear on what you are asking..

But if you are asking if time machine will write over other folders and files on your time machine drive the answer is no it won't.

When your time machine drive is full.. it will delete the oldest back-ups.. not the other files and folders that you placed on the drive.

I know this from experience...

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm not real clear on what you are asking..

But if you are asking if time machine will write over other folders and files on your time machine drive the answer is no it won't.

When your time machine drive is full.. it will delete the oldest back-ups.. not the other files and folders that you placed on the drive.

I know this from experience...

Yes i think you've answered my question....

So if take one of the old back up folders out of the main back up folder, will that be safe from being automatically deleted like all the rest of them that are in the main back up folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
That's a bit out of my knowledge base.. but I'm thinking that would work fine. I'm not sure if that's a reliable way to secure back-up data though.

I'm not real sure how time machine works exactly... but an individual folder may not contain the actual data in all circumstances.. if it was unchanged it may simply contain links to the actual data in another folder. I don't know... I'm just supposing here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.