Buying brand new MBP 13", need advice quickly before it ships

Reaction score
My mom let me know just now quite unexpectedly that she purchased me a new 13" MBP, without first consulting me. She opted for the more expensive basic model, with 8GB RAM and the faster processor. No extras were added besides the bonuses for the slightly more expensive basic model.

My issue: For my mid 2010 13" MBP, I purchased a SSD to upgrade it, this one:
Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Newegg.com - Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

And I could NOT for the life of me get the computer to recognize that the SSD existed, without connecting it externally via USB. Even after installing OSX on it externally, once installed internally the drive would not be recognized. After a few months (and being busy with school), I kind of gave up on the SSD and it's just been sitting around in storage.

Now. If my mother were to cancel the order she made, and choose the basic basic 13" model, upgraded the RAM and opted for the low-end SSD instead of the basic HDD, the cost would come to be about the same as the MBP she ordered, and the differences (besides the better drive) would be the slightly less cool CPU. I want to know if I should have her cancel the order and do this, or if you people (and other Mac people) think that I would be able to get the dumb SSD I bought to actually work in this new machine. Time seems to be of the essence, as I think she ordered it last night.

Please help! :O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
your choice will be get the low end of the mbp and use the ssd in your hand to run the new machine.
Mean time you can try to run ssd in 2010 mbp, since the sata 2 ssd will not reach the capacity speed of sata 3 in your new mbp.
Here is what you can do get the basic 2012 mbp, try the sata 2 in it. if okay(speed wise) with you then keep going.
Or speed wise on the 2012 not ok, you can get a new sata 3 ssd.
somehow the intel ssd should work both mbp, not matter 2010 or 2012.
if you need help with ssd in 2010, ask here.
You have a great mother, be thankful for it.

Reaction score
You should be able to make it work in the new machine.

But I would cancel the current order anyway, and get the basic machine without upgrading the memory. Then, go get a 16GB upgrade third party for about $160.

OP
L
Reaction score
So the SSD in the 2010 MBP won't be an upgrade, because those older MBPs are limited to SATA 2?

OP
L
Reaction score
How big of a difference is the
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
compared to the
2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

OP
L
Reaction score
You should be able to make it work in the new machine.

But I would cancel the current order anyway, and get the basic machine without upgrading the memory. Then, go get a 16GB upgrade third party for about $160.

With all the trouble I have had with upgrading these things, I would rather play it safe and buy stock when I can manage to afford it. That's why I'm really worried about the SSD, it cost me $240 and I am not sure if it will ever work as I wanted it it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
intel is a good brand, i have one running on my mbp.
i7 processor will be faster, do not give up on ssd.
anynamewilldo,
are you talking about 160gb for $160 ?

Reaction score
anynamewilldo,are you talking about 160gb for $160 ?
No. I said: But I would cancel the current order anyway, and get the basic machine without upgrading the memory. Then, go get a 16GB upgrade third party for about $160.

So, I was talking about 16GB of memory for $160, not a hard drive.

I think maxing out the RAM to 16GB is going to have more performance benefit than an SSD drive.

I recently got a high end SSD drive. Meh - speed doesn't seem anything special to me, compared to the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.