Proper format for older car player CD

Reaction score
I was asked to copy a couple of lecture CDs for someone this week. After burning the CDs I find they do no play in a traditional (ie old) CD players. I opened the originals and find the files are format AIFF-C audio when I burned the copies they came out as aiff. The AIFF-C will play the aiff will not in the older players.

This is my first foray into making what amounts to music CDs. I do know the person I made these for drives older model cars, 2000 and 2003 models.

What would be the proper format to re-burn this in. I looked under my Itunes and cannot find an obvious selection for other formats. (see below for the way I burned them)

PARTICULARS: MacBook Pro, Itunes 10.5. The way I copied these was to drag the CD file to my desk top (not import to itunes) take out CD, put in blank and copy to CD icon and drag to burn. I do not have Toast or any burning program only what comes with a MBP. I chose not to import because these are not lectures that are important to me.

Why did the files change format in this way and how can I correct them to play?

Any thoughts appreciated,

D300

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP Intel Core i7, iPhone 4s, iPhone 2g, iPad 2, iPod mini, iMac Intel Core 2 duo
I have a solution to your AIFF issue.

Why did the files change format in this way and how can I correct them to play?
Any thoughts appreciated,
D300

Hello Let me see if i can help you here.

PROBLEM: The way I copied these was to drag the CD file to my desk top
SOLUTION: Thats fine :)

PROBLEM: "put in blank and copy to CD icon and drag to burn."
SOLUTION: What you have just done is created a DATA CD. This is not what you want. What you really want is an Audio CD... so what you need to do is open iTunes create a playlist and drop the files in that playlist

PROBLEM: I do not have Toast or any burning program only what comes with a MBP.
SOLUTION: You do not need Toast or any other burning program... Apple has one built in just for the desktop - BUT - most importantly for you, you need to select the playlist that you created Right+Click or Control+Click the playlist and you will see at the bottom of the dialog box the option to burn. This will create the audio CD that you seek.

ADDITIONAL: Before you burn your disk make sure you have the proper settings so on the upper right look for "iTunes" (a dialog box will drop down)>> choose "Preferences" (a box will open called "General Preferences", look for the "import Settings" button and click it (it will pop open another box)>> It is here you will find the various audio settings.. Make sure you choose "AIFF Encoder" then hit "Ok". As long as you choose AIFF when you burn your CD in iTunes you will be perfectly fine.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Bendrix has given you all the info you need there but if you don't want to use iTunes for any reason you can use Burn.

It's free and lets you create Audio CDs from the files you have.

One other thing of note. Once you have an audio CD don't be too discouraged if it doesn't work first time.
Car CD players are notoriously picky. If the disc plays in a home CD player but not in the car(s) try a different brand of disc and burn at no more the 8x speed (you'll be given this option when you come to create the disc).

Reaction score
Bendrix has given you all the info you need there but if you don't want to use iTunes for any reason you can use Burn.

It's free and lets you create Audio CDs from the files you have.

One other thing of note. Once you have an audio CD don't be too discouraged if it doesn't work first time.
Car CD players are notoriously picky. If the disc plays in a home CD player but not in the car(s) try a different brand of disc and burn at no more the 8x speed (you'll be given this option when you come to create the disc).

This makes good since but when I'm burning full audio/video to CD/DVD disk I always run it at X1 speed. Takes more time but I've never had errors this way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.