• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing a DVD made on Panasonic DVD recorder on my iMac

D

daktafari

New at this. I recorded my VHS home movies on DVD through my Panasonic DVD recorder. How do I edit these on my iMac (1.25 MHz 17")? I particularly want to lift scenes out and copy to another DVD, make VCDs and add special effects between scenes. Do I have to convert the files to mpeg2? Do I edit in iMovie? It looks like iMovie only takes still pictures. Or do I need to spend big bucks and get more appropriate software?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
iMovie does edit video. I have downloaded my DV video to my powerbook using iMovie.

OP
D

daktafari

Thanks for the reply. Now, how do I get the files from my DVD into iMovie. Don't they have to be converted to mpeg2 files and if so do you know how that's done. Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There is another thread about DVDs, let me find it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.