Mountain Lion installed... now iSight camera doesn't work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
The installation of Mountain Lion went fine.

I tried to open Facetime and the app/program wouldn't open at all. iMessage/AIM doesn't see the camera, and Photobooth doesn't see the camera. Nowhere in System Preferences does the camera show up.

Anyone else's iSight camera become disabled or not recognized with the Mountain Lion install?

I'm using an '09 MBP.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Haven't upgraded yet, but have you tried a hard reset to see if it corrects your problem?

EDIT: Some info including how to do an SMC reset
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
No, haven't gone that far yet...

Was curious if anyone else had encountered the issue. My brother is installing ML as I type and has a same vintage MBP as I, waiting to see his results and have been perusing Twitter & Google to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First thing I always do when I encounter an unexpected problem is to power down and power back up (in my case I also remove the battery but I have an older MBP). That will generally take care of 80% plus of problems and takes almost no time.
SMC and PRAM resets are a little more (but not much) effort.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you go into About This mac and opt to do a system report does the camera show in the USB section? Mine is showing fine in FaceTime and Skype on my 2008 MB Pro which I just finished upgrading.

Reaction score
Same problem

Just installed montain lion on a late 2008 alu macbook and the isight also dissappeard.

The Webcam does not show up in the System Information usb selection.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dur, so yeah, I get to look like a moron now...

I figured since the computer rebooted as part of the install, that counted as 'rebooting'.

Nope. I turned the computer off, took my kids to the pool for a couple hours, came back and started it up and the camera works fine. Just a plain old restart was all that was needed. Usually if I'm having any issues I do that straight off, but since it HAD restarted I figured I didn't need to do it again...

Oh well. Having it off for a couple hours "magically" fixed it.

And no, the camera was not visible in the USB selection before I shut it down, it was completely missing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good to know. The only reboot I had done was part of the install process. Maybe some systems ned a second reboot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I don't know about you guys.... but I just turned on Photo Booth and some ugly looking character was staring at me. It's Mountain Lion's fault! And a reboot didn't help. ;P

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I don't know about you guys.... but I just turned on Photo Booth and some ugly looking character was staring at me. It's Mountain Lion's fault! And a reboot didn't help. ;P
Oh thank goodness. That explains what was staring at me when I opened FaceTime.:Confused We better fire off an angry note to Cupertino ASAP:

Wait it's the Internet, Someone's probably got an online petition going already.:Mischievous:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I see that every time I use my iSight. Dang Jobs, all his fault. No wait, its my ugly face! Broke the LCD last time I tried it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And don't forget those ****ed mirror manufacturers. Not early as good as they were say thirty years ago!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys must have a corrupted file . . . I get this extremely good lookin guy staring back at me (at least that's what my wife tells me). ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys must have a corrupted file . . . I get this extremely good lookin guy staring back at me (at least that's what my wife tells me). ;)
Why would you see a pic of me??? I don't understand.

Reaction score
Having a similar problem, I cannot change my volume out of mute. The box is grayed out in settings.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only problem now is the camera shows I have a couple gray hairs. That's not possible and I demand the camera be replaced. It's obviously defective.

/sarcasm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 20" iMac 2.4 GHz, Core 2 Duo iPod Touch, iPhone 5, iPad Mini (Black), & iPad/4th Gen (Black)
Just curious, do most of these issues installing Mountain Lion stem from older Mac's (2010 models and below) or have the different issues installing Mountain Lion effected newer 2012 models also (MBP, MBP Retina, MBA, etc.)?

Paul

Reaction score
looks like my camera is missing too... I do not know why... I can't find it in system preferences and it was working fine in lion... mountain lion demons striking again!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
looks like my camera is missing too... I do not know why... I can't find it in system preferences and it was working fine in lion... mountain lion demons striking again!

Did you do an Upgrade or Clean install? Camera working on my late 2007 iMac here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.