Mountain Lion Wont Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2008 6 GB Ram 500GB HD LION; Iphone-4 (Verizon) 32GB; Ipod 16GB
Well, I'm not off to a good start with Mountain Lion. I managed to download it this morning and when I tried to install it, I got a message that Mountain Lion can not install on my hard drive. About 2 years ago I upgraded my hard drive to a 500 GB Hitachi drive. I have since upgraded to Lion 10.7 so the software is fine, and it has let me upgrade with this (unauthorized- non original equipment) hard drive. When I first attempted the install the first time I got a message that the Hitachi Drive was the drive used to back up with Time Machine -which it is not.
Any got any hints tips or tricks to get this upgrade installed.
I'm on a late 2008 MBP Aluminum and the Hitachi still has over 200 GB of unused space on it.
Thanks all:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Don't feel too badly. My OS is broken after trying to install Mountain Lion. I get the bad error yellow triangle with an error message that my hard drive is damaged and cannot be repaired.
No hints or tips for me: The one-year-old MBPro is on its way to the Apple store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Did you make a backup of the HDD before upgrading? There shouldn't be a problem regarding what kind of HDD you have. If you can post a screen shot, go into Disk Utility, and take a pic of what it shows as being plugged in. Post it here as a comment.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mountain Lion Won't Install

Hi Iggibar,
Not sure if this is what you mean by plugged in. THis is under Info in Disk Utility. Any help will be most appreciated. BTW, I quit the install and started it again. After agreeing to the terms and conditions, I get the screen asking which drive I want to install to and only the Hitachi 500GB is shown. When I click on it, it tells me again that this disk is used Time Machine backups and will not highlight.
Thanks again.
Mike

Name : Hitachi 500GB
Type : Partition

Disk Identifier : disk0s2
Mount Point : /
System Name : Mac OS X
System Version : 10.7.4
System Build : 11E53
System Copyright : 1983-2012 Apple Inc.
File System : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Connection Bus : SATA
Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/SATA@B/PRT0@0/PMP@0
Writable : Yes
Universal Unique Identifier : 4BDFA4C7-7B05-3D32-8463-B1353AF50C4A
Capacity : 499.25 GB (499,248,103,424 Bytes)
Free Space : 221.9 GB (221,897,773,056 Bytes)
Used : 277.35 GB (277,350,330,368 Bytes)
Number of Files : 707,630
Number of Folders : 179,497
Owners Enabled : Yes
Can Turn Owners Off : Yes
Can Repair Permissions : Yes
Can Be Verified : Yes
Can Be Repaired : Yes
Can Be Formatted : Yes
Bootable : Yes
Supports Journaling : Yes
Journaled : Yes
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 2

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Sharcy,
That's it! Got it resolved. Many thanks! Happily exploring Mountain Lion!

Reaction score
Don't feel too badly. My OS is broken after trying to install Mountain Lion. I get the bad error yellow triangle with an error message that my hard drive is damaged and cannot be repaired.
No hints or tips for me: The one-year-old MBPro is on its way to the Apple store

Char, I got the same error. Did you figure out what it meant?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.