Screenshot color gamut problem?

J

jayisgames

Can anyone tell me why the color gamut for a screenshot taken with the standard Mac OS screen capture appears different and much duller than the color displayed on my screen?

Is it a problem with settings on my computer? Is it correctable?

I dislike having to try to color correct each screenshot I take.

Mac Powerbook G4 12"
OS X 10.3.9

Thank you kindly.

Jay

Reaction score
Try this: Get Info on the screen shot file that is created and expand the "More Info" part, the field called "Profile Name" will tell you the colour profile embedded with the picture.

On my 12" pb 10.4.3, the colour profile on the file is the same as my display (I know because I calibrated it a few weeks ago). If you go into preferences>Displays>Color, you can see what you screen profile is. If the screen shot file is different then you know what the problem is, and maybe you can get OSX to embed the proper colour profile, if not then I'm not sure!

Although this doesn't solve anything it will help you hunt down the cause of the problem.

OP
J

jayisgames

Thanks for your reply zeta101. When I check the get Info box for the files that are created when I do a screenshot (PDFs) I do not see any "More Info" or anything that resembles a "profile". I wonder if that is something new with Tiger (10.4)?

I do appreciate the help as it is giving me reason to switch back to my PC, as I do much wiith screenshots each day.

best,

Jay

Reaction score
jayisgames said:
Thanks for your reply zeta101. When I check the get Info box for the files that are created when I do a screenshot (PDFs) I do not see any "More Info" or anything that resembles a "profile". I wonder if that is something new with Tiger (10.4)?

I do appreciate the help as it is giving me reason to switch back to my PC, as I do much wiith screenshots each day.

best,

Jay

My screenshots are in PNG format, it seems that panther can only make PDF screenshots. You can open the PDF with preview and "save as.." a PNG and hopefully the correct colour profile will be added. This adds another step in the screenshot process though. There might be a way to automate this with applescript but I'm too new to macs to know how exactly...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.