G5 and Mac Mini network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8 G5 -- 3 Gigs RAM -- 23" Cinema Display -- OneTouch II 300GB External HD -- Wacom Intuos3
hey all,

i have a G5 and just aquired a mini from a friend for a steal!! my G5 is my design computer and i would like to put all my programs that i rarely use (but still need) on the mini. but i want to be able to access the mini at a moments notice and control it/run programs when needed. i would need to see the mini desktop to do this obviously. so what's the best way to go about this? is there a simple "switcher" that i could use to switch my mouse/keyboard/monitor between the two? i know that's not really a network solution.

or am i better off using remote desktop 2. it's kinda pricey but seems to be the best solution for me so far.

just wondering if any of you have experience in this and could offer some advice.

thanks
kurt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
For the Mini

For the G5

It's free and easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes.

...and pc controlling mac

OP
WhatTheCrap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8 G5 -- 3 Gigs RAM -- 23" Cinema Display -- OneTouch II 300GB External HD -- Wacom Intuos3
i can't seem to get it to work. it keeps timing out. i use the ip address and password by following the instructions in the help menu. do you need a really fast connection or something? it seems so simple but i can't connect... agghhh!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You would be better off getting a KVM Switch. VNC is great to access your computer from away from home, but its not quick at all (even over a wired network), whereas a KVM switch allows you to switch the monitor/keyboard/mouse to the mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is you firewall on in the sharing system preference? if so make sure to allow port 5900-5902 access to your vnc server mac.

kvm's work great if you machines are in the same room and you don't mind shelling out 200+ for a usb/dvi kvm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.