key on macbook pro is type weird symbol

Reaction score
The keyboard on my macbook pro work fine but four of the letter (the a, w, x, and delete) key is not functioning probably. When I press on it, it produce only weird symbol or a long word of just nonsense (Please not that all of the other key produce regular letter). I try the CAP lock, the option key and all the F key but nothing work. The laptop is no longer under warranty. I was wondering does anyone know how I can fix this. If I take it to an professor, either to an apple store or to any computer repair shop; how much would you think it would cause to fix this. I plug in an external keyboard and all the key work find, I just don't know. These key respond to my typing but not with the destinated letter. I check the setting for the langauge and everything but there it not that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you spilled anything on your MBP keyboard? A liquid spill on the keyboard will cause peculiar things to happen with the keys.

OP
C
Reaction score
Have you spilled anything on your MBP keyboard? A liquid spill on the keyboard will cause peculiar things to happen with the keys.

I'm not to sure since it not really mine but my dad. I can't ask him since he is out of town for a couple of day and left his phone at home. Let say if he did, is there anyway to fix this. If so how much would it cost (for both the apple and an computer repair shop).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Only the Apple store can diagnose the problem and price a solution, we certainly cannot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Only the Apple store can diagnose the problem and price a solution, we certainly cannot.

I agree. One thing i can say is Water damage of any sort in a Notebook ISNT cheap.

How long has this been happening?? Have you tried to restart the MBP ??

I would try resetting the SMC (Resetting the System Management Controller) Im not going to go through all the methods as there are different methods for different Mac's so goto this link, find your Mac and follow the instructions. Report back. Ohh it won't hurt Zapping the PRAM and NVRAM either here . . . .

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.