good sound recorder for mac?

W

williamyo

hi.

im looking for a good sound recorder, that dosent record from my built-in mic, but records exactly what im listening to through the computer (e.g if im streaming a radio show and would like to record it). does anyone know of any free products i could do this with?

thanks alot

williamyo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
As far as I know, there are no apps that will do what you desire, and definitely none that are free. Still, I could be wrong. Your best bet is to search www.versiontracker.com for something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I don't know of any free ones either.. I know RadioLover does that or iRecordMusic. I think iSay goes through the Mic.. none of them are free though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
WireTap Pro. It does exactly what you're asking for, but you'll have to drop $19-- well worth the cost.

Reaction score
i do that for free with Audacity. Its free... Then I connect the headphone jack to the audio in and set Audacity to record accordingly.

The only thing with that is you can't hear it while you record it, so you have to set Audacity to Show the record volume bar in order to record at preferred volume.

///i'd like a better way as well, but haven't come yet up with one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Old thread, I know, but since I have the review:

AudioHijack Pro will record exactly what is playing from the individual app you wish to record from. This means that if you tell it to record, say, Quicktime with the flip4mac plugin to play a WMA stream it will do just that, and only that. Not your new email chime, the bips and boops of Finder, not the iChat notification whisp, but only Quicktime. Or iTunes. Or your DVD player.

Now, I find it a little odd that people who buy hardware which has a reputation (not reality, necessarily) for being overpriced are averse to shelling out a few dollars for what might be a very useful app. I mention this because AudioHijack Pro costs $32. I paid my $32 and it was worth every penny. It will record whatever I tell it to and that is worth something!

Reaction score
Old thread, I know, but since I have the review:

AudioHijack Pro will record exactly what is playing from the individual app you wish to record from. This means that if you tell it to record, say, Quicktime with the flip4mac plugin to play a WMA stream it will do just that, and only that. Not your new email chime, the bips and boops of Finder, not the iChat notification whisp, but only Quicktime. Or iTunes. Or your DVD player.

Now, I find it a little odd that people who buy hardware which has a reputation (not reality, necessarily) for being overpriced are averse to shelling out a few dollars for what might be a very useful app. I mention this because AudioHijack Pro costs $32. I paid my $32 and it was worth every penny. It will record whatever I tell it to and that is worth something!

I realize piracy exists on both fronts of the computing realm, but most that migrate from the PC find it hard to justify paying for software.

Free is better than paying is what it basically amounts to. That said, I am using Audio Hijack and $32 is a small price to pay for a great piece of software.

Reaction score
I find it amazing that there's so much high quality software out there for just a few quid. My most recent purchase is Scrivener, which has changed my working life for about £18! I've also bought Macaroni, Montage, Writeroom, Yojimbo...

As Supercooled implies, switchers used to getting something for nothing will continue to want to do so. Free stuff is nice, but quality – virus-free quality, at that – comes at a price, albeit often small.

Reaction score
I've not used Audacity on OSX, but in windows it records anything coming out of the speakers if you set the input to 'stereo mix' or 'what you hear'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I realize piracy exists on both fronts of the computing realm, but most that migrate from the PC find it hard to justify paying for software.

Maybe that is because there is a LOT of crappy software out there on the PC side. There are far fewer Mac programs out there, but they universally tend to be of a higher quality and you find very few shoddy apps simply because the community as a whole won't stand for it. If you want to make money on the Mac side, you have to make a good product, if you want to make money on the PC side you simply have to make a product, good or bad doesn't really mater.

I find it amazing that there's so much high quality software out there for just a few quid. My most recent purchase is Scrivener, which has changed my working life for about £18! I've also bought Macaroni, Montage, Writeroom, Yojimbo...

As Supercooled implies, switchers used to getting something for nothing will continue to want to do so. Free stuff is nice, but quality – virus-free quality, at that – comes at a price, albeit often small.

I couldn't agree more!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.