What to do with RAM?

Reaction score
I ordered a new MBP 15". It is going to come with 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB.

Before I even turn it on, I will be replacing that with 16GB of RAM. Given that it is very unlikely that someone else is going to get one of these with less than 8GB, is this original memory going to have any resale value at all? Or should I just stick it in the drawer and forget about it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Given that it is very unlikely that someone else is going to get one of these with less than 8GB, is this original memory going to have any resale value at all?

I wouldn't assume that everyone ordering a 15" MBP will get 8gig of ram. There will be those folks who are pushing their budget...and will only get 4gig (and do the 8gig ram upgrade later). Also don't forget...the 2012 13" MacBook Pro's use the same ram...so they will be looking for ram upgrades as well.

If you're looking to sell the ram...Craig's List or e-Bay are two good options.

- Nick

p.s. Also...it never hurts to have some spare parts laying around. If the 16 gig of ram ever "craps-out" on you...having that "older" 8gig of ram will be nice to pop in.

p.p.s. Last thought. When the new iMacs come out (Sept/Oct.)...so go the rumors. They may use this same ram as well. So that may be a good time to sell as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I see OWC has a 8GB memory kit (2x4GB) for $60. So, I guess I can to sell mine for $30.

If I needed 8gig of that ram type...I would certainly buy it for $30!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
If I needed 8gig of that ram type...I would certainly buy it for $30!:)
Well, you were right. I put it on CL and I got 3 emails practically instantly. Too bad I don't have the machine yet!! Jezz, I wasn't expecting such a fast response.

I told the first guy the situation, we'll see what he says. If he doesn't like it I can move on to #2 and #3 :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be careful with those emails from Craig's List. When I was selling my MacBook I received lots of email through Craig's List where I had advertised. Most of them were bogus trying to rip me off. I did sell the MacBook but it was to a local person who I met face to face and he gave me green. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you were right. I put it on CL and I got 3 emails practically instantly. Too bad I don't have the machine yet!! Jezz, I wasn't expecting such a fast response.

Well priced computer items on Craig's list can sell VERY fast...especially if you're in a larger metro area.

Like "chscag" mentioned...meeting face to face & getting paid in cash is the way to go!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Be careful with those emails from Craig's List.

Like "chscag" mentioned...meeting face to face & getting paid in cash is the way to go!:)

Thanks. So far I have 8 or 9 responses, most of which providing local phone numbers and very anxious to buy.

I sell a number of things on CL or our local version. I always have pickups at my local business and cash only. No funny business and no one coming to my house for sure :)

But people are strange. I sold a gun on our local version (Alaska's List). Guy showed up and wanted to bargain. Ad clearly says price is firm, at $250, which is a very fair price. First he offers me $140. I said no. Then he offers me $200. I said no. Then he offered me $242, telling me that's all he has. I said no - and pointed out we have an ATM if he needs it. Then he says he will go to his car and see if he has some change out there. Comes back with a $100 bill.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But people are strange. I sold a gun on our local version (Alaska's List). Guy showed up and wanted to bargain. Ad clearly says price is firm, at $250, which is a very fair price. First he offers me $140. I said no. Then he offers me $200. I said no. Then he offered me $242, telling me that's all he has. I said no - and pointed out we have an ATM if he needs it. Then he says he will go to his car and see if he has some change out there. Comes back with a $100 bill.

Yes...there are certainly some strange folks on CL. At least the folks you mentioned above showed up. I'm sure you've had experiences (I have to) of folks (either buyers or sellers) who say they will meet you at a specific time & place...and then they don't show!!!:(

I do all of my negotiating upfront (before meeting)...since I don't want to drive 20 miles...then find out we are "not on the same page". I would only negotiate a lower price if the item is clearly not as described.

But it is funny (or irritating) the folks that show up and want to negotiate on the spot (especially if you have already agreed on a price via phone/e-mail).

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you don't need the money, keep the RAM as replacement sticks in case the memory in your machine goes bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.