Just successfully migrated music from PC to MBP

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the world of OS X but not iOS.

I've just got a 2012 15 inch MBP (non retina display), 4GB RAM and 500 GB HD and I'm learning the basics and loving the trackpad. My reason for joining the forums is i can't seem to figure out how to solve the following conundrum but imagine someone on here definately can.

You'll have to forgive me but i'm lazy and have just copied and pasted the below passage from another (music) forum I posted this on first.

Files have all successfully migrated, took about 18 hours in the end.

But now I have a new problem. I set up a user account when logging on to my Mac for the first time (account/user A) and was in this user account when I started the migration of music files form my PC laptop. Now all the files have been transferred a new user account has been set up automatically (account/user B). I've tried to access the B account files thru account A and save them all there but had no success.

Is this possible? Reason I ask is I have already installed Maschine and a few plugins in account A and likewise can't access them thru account B. All my samples though are in account B with my other music.

Am I just going to have to uninstall Maschine and plugins from account A and re-install them in B and then continue to use this as my main user account or is there any way of keeping my initial user account and accessing my samples/music in B?

Apologies if either A) you can't understand my verbose post or B) this is really simple to figure out on your own.

After thought: are Macs similar to PCs in respect to the first user account you setup is the admin account and has certain privileges and functions that other accounts don't have? If so, then I'm definitely going to need to get my music and samples from account B to A.

Cheers again

PS I've checked the shared folder and only 3 files are in there (out of 100GBs!!) all of which were sample files which came with the laptop. When trying to access the files from user B whist in user A, a message saying "you don't have permission to access these files" appears.

Thanks for any and all help :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Wowzers, 240 views and no replies? I must have asked a real noob question.

I've been trying to get it sorted for a few hours but to no avail, still I will wait.

Thanks again

OP
M
Reaction score
Not sure if I understood properly, but it seems you have your music stored under profile A, and can't access from B. Apple has this post on their site about making music available for both:

iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer

Thanks for taking the time to answer but no, my music and music samples have been saved automatically onto user B and I wish to access them from user A (because this is the main user and I am the sole user of the MBP).

Being able to share them in itunes between different user accounts will not accomplish what I need unfortunately. I have a lot of samples which I need to access via some production software (saved on user A) so it's paramount that I can access all these files and store them on user A.

I have discovered I can delete user B and save a copy of the disc image and then retrieve all user B files whilst in user A but when i tried this I got an error message saying it had problems saving the disc image.

This is my new conondrum, I will try again with admin account radio button un-ticked and hope this helps.

Cheers anyway though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Try this bro.

When you're in A account
Go to
- Macintosh HD
- Users
- "B" folder
- Public

This is by default a folder in account B that has no restrictions. Account A can access it. Here you can save files if you're in B and retrieve it using account A.

Same goes when you're in B account

hope this helps

OP
M
Reaction score
Try this bro.

When you're in A account
Go to
- Macintosh HD
- Users
- "B" folder
- Public

This is by default a folder in account B that has no restrictions. Account A can access it. Here you can save files if you're in B and retrieve it using account A.

Same goes when you're in B account

hope this helps

Yo thanks a lot!

It did help but as I don't require a second user account I ended up deleting it anyway and successfully retrieving all the migrated files.

Hopefully nothing but plain sailing now :)

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.