Logic board for an '07 MBP 15"?

Reaction score
Hey, gang.

Title says it all. The refurbished MBP I bought nearly a year ago is in need of a logic board due to the graphics card issue. The day the Apple Store diagnosed it, I went on Amazon and bought a new MBP 13" which is a gem!

But...I want to keep the 15" as my back up. I also have an '07 MB 13" which has seen better days.

Where's a good place to order one at a good deal? I've seen some online, but with a no return policy (I don't wanna get stuck with a dead board...been there, done that).

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check around on eBay, but make sure you buy from a reputable seller that has a return policy. The back of MacWorld and MacLife Magazines have advertisements for refurbished logic boards. You might check there but don't expect low prices. There's also the folks at Powerbookmedic.com. They stock refurbished logic boards but here again, don't expect a low price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Bear in mind if you buy a used logic board it could develop the same problem with the Nvidia chip.

Another option, cheaper than a service exchange Apple board, is to have the Nvidia chip replaced. Here in the UK we have Apple Macbook Pro 15"/17" Laptop/Logic Board Repair | eBay

I suspect there's enterprising businesses doing something similar in most major countries.

OP
O
Reaction score
Good advice, all.

Thanks for the responses.

Definitely checking all that out. Will most likely buy one when I see a good deal.

I did think of maybe having the same issue since it would be the exact same logic board. I wonder if a later year logic board would fit the '07 chassis and work properly...same connections, etc?

Im not opposed to going with a newer or slightly older one. Maybe someone out there has tried this with success?

What say ye?

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

OP
O
Reaction score
So, anyone out there think a logic board from a late '08 or an '09 MBP will be a literally perfect fit for an '07 MBP chassis?

I just don't want to go through another graphics card issue.

Anyone care to chime in, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The Nvidia issue effected MacBook Pro's mainly from 2007, but also some 2008. Other models that look the same externally have different connectors internally, so aren't useable. The 2009 models are of a different design. The only logic board that should have increased reliability is one where it had previously been replaced by an Apple service exchange for this issue, but there's no way of telling unless you have the complete machine and it's S/N is checked via GSX by Apple or a service provider, all most unlikely. If you buy an expensive used logic board you take a large gamble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.