problem hooking up Imac to HDTV

Reaction score
I am attempting to connect my iMac to my sony bravia HD TV.

{See Below is my imac and the cable i bought. }

It is the correct cable? My iMac is not detecting my HDTV! Dose anyone know if I used the wrong cable or failed to do something to make this work?

Thanks

MY IMAC:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

THE CABLE I USED:

(Cablesson 10 Feet Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable for Apple iMac) and then attached it to my iMac and HDTV.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know exactly what you have in the way of cables, but you need a Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter which then would be attached to the HDMI cable which goes to your Sony. Also, you will likely need an additional cable for sound. Please read through our Sticky Post which has more information.

LINK

OP
C
Reaction score
the cable i bought maybe the problem?

this is a link from of the cable i bought.

Amazon.com: Cablesson 10 Feet Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable for Apple iMac: Electronics

I thought, perhaps incorrectly that i could use the cable I bought instead of a mini adaptor attached to a HDMI cable. It has a small male connector which plugs into my iMac and another HDMI connector which plugs into my HD TV. But when i plugged it in I received no response from my Imac. The apple clerk at the Imac store was told me that they were out of them but I could get one specifically made to plug into my iMac and HD TV. So the amazon.com description siad that the cable I bought would do the trick for me. Looks like I going to have mail the cable i bought back, buy the adaptor and then a HDMI cable and a cable for sound. Oh Boy...

Thank you for your quick response. Dose that cable i bought look to you like its the wrong one? That is what I am suspecting now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.