Back up before mount Lion

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I want to get a back up of /User and application settings before doing a clean install of Mountain Lion using Time machice. I dont want the Library or /System directories becaise i believe the Mountain Lion will have its own directories.

How can i do that ?

I also keep an image using CCC just in case something goes wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just do a full Time Machine backup. Install Mountain Lion and use the User Migration assistant to copy back your apps and docs etc.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
For my own education & to assist with my future plans —

Am I wrong in thinking that after doing a clean install, Mountain Lion and its associated libraries etc are installed and that using Time Machine (TM) thereafter in the usual way, will only install your folders, files, settings and so on?

From the question posed by daras and the subsequent answer by mrplow, is it therefore the case that "old" libraries & directories from the previous OS will me installed by TM rather than Mountain Lion's?

The answer will have a big influence on how I upgrade. From Leopard, through Snow Leopard to Lion, I have simply installed the new OS and let TM do the rest. Was I wrong?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry, confused again.....

TM backup, clean OS install, then User Migration back from TM will give you a fresh OS installation with all you personal settings, documents, apps etc restored. Exactly as it should be, exactly as you'd want.

Exactly how you've done your previous upgrades by the sounds of things.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks ever so much.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.