opening index.html to edit

Reaction score
G'day everyone, can you inform me about how to open my index.html? I can not open it with text edit, because I get the message "locked".
Thank you for your help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Right click the file > Get Info > uncheck the Locked box. That should do it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you van smith for answering my question. I work on an iMac, Mac OS X Version 10.7.4 Using iWeb for my website does not allow me to open the index.html. When I followed your suggestion I got the info.html file, but ... having unchecked the Locked box I am still able to edit the index file. In the mean time I read on the internet several articles which say that it will be not possible to edit the index.html from iWeb. There should be a way, but that is a very difficult one, especially for "not so experienced users" as I am!
I still hope you can provide (and I think a lot of other iWeb users as well :) ) with a solution.
with Light Gert de Wilde

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When I followed your suggestion I got the info.html file
Wrong file. ;)

You need to right click the index.html file > Get Info > uncheck the Locked checkbox.

OP
I
Reaction score
My apologies to you vansmith and all Mac fans! My response was incorrect!
I mentioned info.html, it should have been index.html and a little bit further on I wrote "... having unchecked the Locked box I am still able to edit the index file." It should have been "... having unchecked the Locked box I am still NOT able to edit the index file."
My problem is still alive! Clicking on the index.html continuing with Open With TextEdit.app gives a blank screen with on top the message "index.html -- Locked"
You were right to correct me van smith :) but unfortunately my problem still exist.
with Light Gert de Wilde

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With TextEdit open, simply click Locked in the titlebar and select the Unlock option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.