Mac MIni as external hard drive?

Reaction score
Can a mac mini be used as a network hard rive and a usable computer at the same time? Every article i read about using one as an external requires booting it up special.

My goal would be to hook a Mac mini via FireWire to my airport extreme and to my tv in the living room. Using it as media center in the living room, as well as a media resource for our other macs in the house. We'd like to be able to store stuff and access stuff over the network.

Any advice on this would be great. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm fairly certain that none of Apple's Airport routers have a Firewire port. Why not just enable file sharing on the Mac mini? That would effectively make it a networked hard drive.
Mac 101: File Sharing

OP
X
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Question with file sharing... Can I then dump files from all my other computers onto the Mac mini as well as just access the shared files? The goal would ultimately be to download files from the 2 Mac book pros and iMac and save them all to one central location accessible by all and most importantly playable on the TV.

I'm fairly certain that none of Apple's Airport routers have a Firewire port. Why not just enable file sharing on the Mac mini? That would effectively make it a networked hard drive.
Mac 101: File Sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for that. Question with file sharing... Can I then dump files from all my other computers onto the Mac mini as well as just access the shared files? The goal would ultimately be to download files from the 2 Mac book pros and iMac and save them all to one central location accessible by all and most importantly playable on the TV.

Yes. Just enable the file sharing option to use AFP and the mount point will automatically show up in the Finder's sidebar on all Macs on your network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.