How do I access my iMac from my new Macbook Pro Retina?

Reaction score
So frustrated with my new macbook pro- I didn't know, (and it is my own fault) that it doesn't come with a DVD drive or ethernet port. I can get over the ethernet thing and get an adapter, but I need access my iMac so I can instal my software. I found a few great tutorials on line but even after selecting sharing the Remote disk only shows in the side screen, when I click it nothing happens on MBP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can access your iMac from the RMBP by using the firewire ports on both the Retina and the iMac. You will need the proper firewire cable to hook both together.

OP
C
Reaction score
Of course I don't have that either Also just noticed that the magsafe power adapter isn't very strong, Every time I bump it it disconnects. Super disappointed n Mac-

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Why not just enable DVD sharing and copy whatever you need that way? That's how I move information and record disks with my MacBook Airs and MacBook Pro. You can even share with a Windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 20" iMac 2.4 GHz, Core 2 Duo iPod Touch, iPhone 5, iPad Mini (Black), & iPad/4th Gen (Black)
You can also get a external Mac SuperDrive. This is the route I took when I picked up my MBP with Retina display.

Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.