Can't print to windows printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
have a windows machine running xp pro with an attached Brother MFC printer/scanner. the windows machine is connected via ethernet to a Time Capsule. I have a MacBook Air connected to network via wireless. The MacBook Air is able to see the folders and files that are shared on the Windows machine. Unfortunately I am not able to print from the mac to the Brother MFC on the windows machine. Used to be able to, but can't now.

I also have a printer/scanner attached to the time capsule via ethernet wired connection. All the machine, including both macs and windows with Bonjour are able to print to that printer and receive scans with no issues.

Any suggestions? I'm on the verge of giving up and buying a new network ready printer/scanner but I'm not sure I'll be able to configure that to scan to the windows comptuer either. I'm missing something here and its driving me up the wall. Any help will be MUCH appreciated.

Reaction score
Can you print from the MBA to the Brother printer if it is directly connected? Have you ever been able to print from this computer to this printer? I have seen some printers that don't work with Apple. I have a newer brother printer MFC 825 that is connected to my network wirelessly. It prints from every device, windows or apple, including iphone and ipad. In fact, Brother makes an app that allows you to scan directly to your phone; it's pretty cool. The ink replacement is super cheap on Amazon. I haven't even asked why you need a second printer but you obviously feel the need. Just food for thought.

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I was able to print from the mba to the brother printer in the past. I did do some messing around on the windows machine network names and such - in over my head. I see there are two network names on the windows machine now. I need two printers because one is in my home office an another floor. This is a usb or parallel cable printer only. No wireless card and no ethernet card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.