Dragging files to trash............

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram
How can I shut off the........ Items will be deleted Immediately when dragging them to trash in Tiger. I'd rather be able to put things in the trash, then double check before I delete them.

L

lil

Click on the Finder, then go to the Finder menu > Preferences (command + ,)

Go to 'Advanced' and ensure that 'Show warning before emptying the trash' is checked.

That way you can drag to the trash, then go back into the trash and drag things back out again, then when you go to empty the trash, it will pop up the are you sure requester.

Vicky

OP
earltash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes that is already checked, and it still does it.

L

lil

Can I just clarify - what is it you want the trash to do?

Do you mean like on Windows where you drag an icon or a bunch of icons to the recycle bin and it says "Are you sure you want to shove these in the trash?"

If you do mean that, Mac OS and Mac OS X has never done that, it asks for your confirmation when you empty the trash.

Is the trash somehow deleting things you drop into it straight away? It shouldn't...

Vicky

OP
earltash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I right clik a file to send to trash it sends up and alert it will be deleted immediately with a cancel or Ok button to clik. I would like to be able to send things to the trash and have them in there so I can check threw them a bit later and pull anything out that I may not want to trash out. My powerbook running Panther did it this way. Tiger always wants to delete thing now. Even if I drag and drop it into the trash this pops up.
Must be a way to get around this.

R

Russ-ST24

Hi, I only see this in Tiger when working with a network drive.
Local HD files move into the trash and I can delete them when ready, if I am attached to a network share and move the files to trash it warns me that they will be deleted as they are being removed from the server.
I do not know about previous versions of OS X but this makes perfect sense as the files are not located on my machine but the remote server.

Russ

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Russ is correct. If you try to trash a file on a Network drive, it will then say it can not store it in the trash and give you the option to delete. If it's on a Local drive it asks if you want to move it to the trash. All my Macs with Tiger do that. Are the files you are trying to trash on the local hard drive in the Mac?

OP
earltash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems now it will let me trash some items to the trash. Others it will give me the popup saying they will be deleted imediatly.
Got me what's up with this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.