Trying to Install Lion on my Mac Mini.....

cap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" early 2009:2.4GHz,8GB,OSX10.10.3 & PBookG4:1GHZ,1.25MB,OSX10.5.8 &MacMini:2GHz,2GB,OS
Argh!

Just got my MBP all updated from Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion, so thought I'd give the Mac Mini a shot also.

I use the MM with a TV monitor, connected via the mini display port and HDMI to the TV. (I also have access shared with the MBP.) The MM has been on pretty much continuously for most of two years.

First I made sure all the software was updated and used Disk Utility to check the disk for needed repairs and to repair permissions. Then backed the thing up by TM. Then downloaded Lion from the app store (and made a bootable USB thumb drive copy this time). Finally, started the installation process. Everything was going along fine and suddenly the connection with my MBP was lost, the TV monitor went blank with a "No Signal" message, and the MM hard drive began making a lot of continual noise. After maybe 10 - 15 minutes, the noise stopped, and after a few more minutes, a different, quieter noise began. I can't see it in finder or on the connected TV. Is this hard drive failure? I have no idea if Lion was even installed.

Any ideas anyone?

OP
C

cap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" early 2009:2.4GHz,8GB,OSX10.10.3 & PBookG4:1GHZ,1.25MB,OSX10.5.8 &MacMini:2GHz,2GB,OS
Guess I was a little impatient. After a little bit longer, the MM rebooted on its own, the TV screen view reappeared, and I now have Lion 10.7.4 installed.

OTOH, is the noisy hard drive something to worry about? It's not noisy now even while watching some online videos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.