Mountain Lion and Apple TV

Reaction score
I've been reading that with Mountain Lion, users will have the ability to mirror their computer desktops to the TV via Apple TV and Airplay. One article (out of the several I read) said that for iMacs, the technology will only work for models released in the last year. Mine is a late 2009 model. I'm still happily using Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) and would only update to Mountain Lion if I can take advantage of the new mirroring capability. Does anyone know for sure if it will only work on iMac for models released in the last year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
mountain lion is the software that trigger the airplay with apple tv module, as long as the osx is there, the airplay is working, the article writer must be misleading you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The article writer is not misleading you. Although you can still use airplay through iTunes to send movie playback to your ATV, mirroring your display has been so far limited to only newer hardware configurations only. Even on Apple's technical specifications page for Mountain Lion this is documented.

On this page:

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion - Read the technical specifications.

in the feature specific requirements section you will find:

AirPlay Mirroring
Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supports the following Mac models:

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

As you can see, 2011 or newer.

I know from personal experience, a 2010 MBA won't do airplay mirroring.

If your hardware doesn't support it, the option just doesn't show up to even enable the feature.

If the only reason you want ML is the airplay mirroring, then there is no reason to update.

If you want/need the functionality of Airplay but don't have a Mac capable of it - check out AirParrot - AirPlay your Mac or PC's screen to AppleTV which works fairly well. I did use it a bit on that 2010 MBA for mirroring, didn't feel as smooth as ML airplay looks in demonstrations, but it does work and it does have a trial version.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. Obviously, it won't work on my 2009 model iMac. Nethfel, I'll take a look at AirParrot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.