Dual monitor switching

A

azrodward

I have a 27" imac and a pc side-by-side and would like to be able to hook up the pc monitor with the imac creating a dual monitor set-up keeping the ability to switch the pc monitor back to being the pc's dedicated monitor when not in use with the imac. What would be the best recommended hardware for doing this and also, when using the pc monitor with the imac, does that effect its calibration for colors? My purpose is to be able to do color work on the pc monitor when hooked up with the imac. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What are the inputs on the PC monitor

Also, regardless you are going to have to calibrate that second monitor to do color work

OP
A

azrodward

I'm planning on getting a Dell ultrasharp U2711 that has a DVI input, I believe? Yes, I know I need to have monitor calibrated, but will the colors shift when switching it to be a dual with the imac or will it maintain its calibration all the tie no matter what computer it is connected to. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I struggled with all sorts of options to do the same thing and gave up. Ditched the windows computer and bought a Thunderbolt Display. Meets my needs much better and its not a Rube Goldberg affair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.