IMAC to TV Connection Stopped Working

Reaction score
My late 2009 model Imac and Panasonic 32" HDTV suddenly stopped working together after seven months. The computer still recognizes the TV connection. When I got to Preferences/Display/Arrangement, the TV screen shows up, and when I go to Sound, Panasonic TV is listed there. So, it does not appear to be a problem with the cables (just in case I tried a new Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter with no change). When I set the computer exactly as I have done for the past seven months then switch the TV to HDMI, nothing happens on the TV screen. This is maddening since it was working perfectly the night before but just stopped for no apparent reason yesterday morning. There have been no recent software or any other additions. Any ideas?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

2009 Panasonic Vierra HDTV (32 Inch)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have seen similar issues with my Sharp Aquos LCD TV. It seems that occasionally, the Sharp's own input management system gets confused as to the status of what's plugged into it.

In those cases, I find that unplugging (not powering off the TV, but actually physically unplugging it) and plugging it back in, usually does the trick.

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have seen similar issues with my Sharp Aquos LCD TV. It seems that occasionally, the Sharp's own input management system gets confused as to the status of what's plugged into it.

In those cases, I find that unplugging (not powering off the TV, but actually physically unplugging it) and plugging it back in, usually does the trick.

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Just tried it and it did not work. It's obvious the computer recognizes the TV. When I click "Mirror" the two screens come together and it allows me to set sound to "Panasonic TV." But, still nothing happens when I switch the TV to HDMI. I tried a different HDMI port but that didn't help, either. Kind of driving me nuts.

OP
T
Reaction score
Update: Even though the computer is recognizing the TV and shows all the TV's specs under graphics/displays, I tried another HDMI cable out of desperation. No luck. It seems the computer is definitely recognizing the TV but the TV does not appear to be picking up any signal from the iMac.

OP
T
Reaction score
Still struggling with this issue. Computer lists specs for TV and acts like it is connected in every way, but I suddenly get no image on TV. Anyone with ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.