printer not installing

Reaction score
Hi I would appreciate all suggestions/ideas...just bought a new printer. i have set it up exactly as instructions. Its connected to my Imac by usb cable..message on screen said printer is not installed. Have downloaded latest drivers and tried a new usb cable...Have tried reinstalling everything but printers till doesn"t show as option on printers in Sys Prefs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can you give us some specifics about your Mac and the printer?

OP
E
Reaction score
Can you give us some specifics about your Mac and the printer?

Hi yes its a Canon Pixma 4950 inkjet printer...usb connection only
I have a 27" I mac running OS Lion...never ever had a problem installing anything before. got a Kodak printer too which installed like a dream

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It seems odd to me that it wouldn't automatically pop up in Print & Fax, assuming that the USB cable is good, the drivers are installed (not just downloaded, but you've actually gone through the installation wizard) and the printer is turned on.

My bet would be that you have a defective printer. Have you tried calling Canon's technical support?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.