Upgrade OS to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Once it's out and ready to upgrade my OS I'd like to ask a few questions.

So I go to the Apple online store, click to the Mountain Lion upgrade link.
click on whatever is next and it will install it, But what about all my documents I have saved and other things, will they still be there once I've upgraded?

Or do I have to back up everything as it will wipe out what I already have installed?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Once it's out and ready to upgrade my OS I'd like to ask a few questions.

So I go to the Apple online store, click to the Mountain Lion upgrade link.
click on whatever is next and it will install it, But what about all my documents I have saved and other things, will they still be there once I've upgraded?

They should be, yes - but anything is possible when you make a major change to your computer, so it is ALWAYS recommended to do a full backup prior to making such a change.

I wouldn't even think twice about Mountain Lion if you don't have an external hard drive with a solid backup.

Or do I have to back up everything as it will wipe out what I already have installed?

You can do it that way, and indeed, most of us that have been through this a time or two, usually prefer a clean install. But since the advent of new OS X releases being made available from the Mac App Store, it seems that Apple is pretty confident that their upgrade process is pretty bullet proof..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.