1tb hdd very slow on MacBook pro 5,4 2009 2.53ghz/8gb ram

Reaction score
]Recently upgraded ram (fr 4gb) and hdd (fr 250gb) and have had constant periodical spinning wheel a few months since. Reverting to old ram is no help - figure its not ram. Guessing hdd is too big (9.5mm 5400 wd Scorpio blue). Resigned to replacing it unless any suggestions otherwise? If I do replace would a 750gb 7200rpm make a big difference? Any suggestions on largest hdd that might retain speed and battery life? Not up for ssd yet $ wise. Seems the seagate xt 50% ssd's run hot and burn battery - or am I wrong there?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

OP
G
Reaction score
]Recently upgraded ram (fr 4gb) and hdd (fr 250gb) and have had constant periodical spinning wheel a few months since. Reverting to old ram is no help - figure its not ram. Guessing hdd is too big (9.5mm 5400 wd Scorpio blue). Resigned to replacing it unless any suggestions otherwise? If I do replace would a 750gb 7200rpm make a big difference? Any suggestions on largest hdd that might retain speed and battery life? Not up for ssd yet $ wise. Seems the seagate xt 50% ssd's run hot and burn battery - or am I wrong there?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Have you done any real trouble shooting / maintenance? Swapping the RAM and deducing it's the hard drives problem isn't really enough - it may be a permissions problem, it may be a hard drive problem, it may be something you've installed and didn't realize that's causing you grief.

Take a look at :

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

before determining that the HD needs to be replaced. There isn't really a significant speed difference that should cause beach balling on average every day usage (aside from compressing/decompressing large files, most tests I've ever seen on the net for real world usage between a 750gb 7200 and 1tb 5400 laptop drive is about 10MB/s difference in average throughput). I'd do some of the other basic diagnostics in the trouble shooting guide, you can also use a tool like Onyx to help fix any problems (you can get it from Mac Update here: Download OnyX for Mac - Maintenance and optimization tool. MacUpdate.com - check the forums here as there are a lot of people that use it if you need help).

In terms of SSD, I'd probably get an OWC (macsales.com) or something like a crucial (crucial.com) - but before I plunked down the cash for a large SSD which gets very expensive very fast, I'd make sure there aren't issues with the OS or other applications before deciding the drive is truly the problem.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the assistance.. Upgraded to the 750gb momentus xt and it's zipping along again. The wd Scorpio blue seems to be working ok as an external. Its been $180 more han i hoped to spend but I guess you can never have too many drives. thanks again for everybody's suggestions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.