audio problems windows 7 boot camp install

Reaction score
First, some background info.I recently had my 27 inch i5 late 2009 imac in for servicing to replace the video card. The tech said the hdd was about to fail so that was replaced also. They cloned os x to the new hdd but couldn't do windows so I had to install windows myself.

Now on to the problem. First, I'll mention that I have not found any audio problems in os x.
I installed windows 7 home premium through boot camp. After using the os x install dvd to update boot camp I started to hear a click/click sound through the speakers. This occurs at approx 3 second intervals and never stops. When I try to play music or listen to a youtube video I hear the clicks and a lot of static noise.

I discovered that if I disable the audio driver through device manager, Cirrus Logic CS4206A (AB 81), the clicking sound disappears. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver several times which had no effect. As far as I can tell this is the most up to date driver. I looked for an older version but couldn't find one.

I'm hoping someone can help because this is getting on my nerves.
Thanks in advance...........mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have any other apps starting up automatically when Windows starts? You can check to see what's running upon startup by using the Windows configuration editor.

From START RUN enter this: "msconfig.exe" (no quotes) and press enter. Then click on the startup tab. That will show what's running upon startup including those programs or processes that are starting from the registry.

You may be able to identify something that's running which is causing the clicks at 3 second intervals. You can also disable startup items from here to test to see if the clicking stops.

I don't believe the clicking has anything to do with the audio drivers and of course disabling the driver causes all sound to stop. You might also start Windows in SAFE mode to see if the clicking stops. Press F8 during the boot cycle to enter SAFE mode.

OP
C
Reaction score
H ichscag, thanks for replying.
I tried the msconfig >system configuration > startup and disabled all. Rebooted and I still have the click sounds.

I also tried starting in safe mode and didn't get any clicks but the speaker icon is x-ed out and when I hover the mouse over it, says "Audio services aren't running." When I click on the speaker icon windows attempts a repair and ends with message "One or more audio services isn't running. Not fixed."
It's been quite a while since I've been in safe mode, is it normal for the speaker icon to be x-ed over?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, it appears whatever the "click" sound is, it's not something that's in the startup panel or registry.

SAFE mode should not normally disable the sound. What SAFE mode does do is disable all third party drivers which in this case would include the Apple driver. So yes, it looks like that doesn't help us.

Reading back through your original post again, it leads me to believe that this is a driver problem. Have you tried to do a Boot Camp update while in Windows?

Open the Boot Camp control panel item and run the Apple software update from there. If there are Boot Camp updates, they should be downloaded and installed. Perhaps that will include a different driver for sound.

OP
C
Reaction score
It appears the apple software updater is not working. The pop up with the progress bar just flashes and updater says there are updates, pick which ones you want install, but there is nothing listed there.

I'm also starting to have video card problems again in windows only. Twice this morning the monitor briefly blacked out and comes back with a message that the display adapter encountered a problem and has recovered. I,m also getting lines of blacked out pixels across the monitor occasionally.

I am considering installing windows again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.