MBP $20 ebay batteries. Anyone with experience?

Reaction score
One time I bought a battery off eBay for about $60-70, and when I got it it was warped and I had a really hard time both putting it into my MBP and taking it out. Nevertheless, it worked, and it worked for a long time. It was about 550 or so cycles before I had to get a new one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyone have any experience buying some of the $20 - $25 batteries off of ebay?

Hey...it's $20 bucks. Even if it was only 50% as good as a brand new Apple battery...$20 bucks is way less than 50% of the price of a new Apple battery ($65).:)

Regarding Apple batteries. Do you know how many Apple laptop users are out there??? Hundreds of Thousands??...Millions??...Tens of Millions!!! If all those users were having battery problems...it would be national news...and NO ONE would be buying Apple laptops (which certainly isn't the case)...and Apples stock price would be heading for the basement!!!:(

What you're reading is a VERY VERY small minority of folks with problems...which happens with ANY manufactured product. No manufacturing process produces 100% perfect defect free products.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have been wondering about some of the third-party batteries myself. I have been looking on Amazon and seen several for my '08 MacBook Pro.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would be wary of any "no-name" batteries from eBay. I've heard horror stories of product and property damage, up to and including fire in grey market cell phone and laptop batteries.

With that said, there are some reputable third party battery solutions, the one that springs most readily to mind in terms of good reviews is this one:

FastMac | Product - Laptop Battery Upgrades

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
T
Reaction score
This is a follow up.

I ended up buying the cheap ebay battery. Have had it for a couple months and haven't any big issues with it. I think its fines for people who:

- rarely unplug their laptop
- just want a battery in when traveling so it doesn't go dead

I haven't really tested the life but it's somewhere between 1.5 and 2 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I build LiPo batteries. The battery materials alone cost way more than that, when compared to a stock Apple battery. There are two explanations for that cheapness:
1. They manufactured the living daylights out of them.
2. It's just cheap crap.

I'd go with #2. "You get what you pay for." If you complained about the stock battery, you're going to have a field day with that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I have not heard of any "horrible reviews" of Apple factory batteries either.

I have had and also have heard of major problems with cheap knock off batteries for specific applications like cameras and computers. Poor quality, low grade materials, short life span, size at variance with original equipment batteries, leakage. I would no sooner save a few dollars placing an unknown commodity battery in a $2K - $3K computer than I would in my $3K - $4K cameras. Seems a very poor place to save money but, hey - it's your gamble, not mine.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a battery for my 2006 15" MBP. Apple sells them new for $130 which is crazy considering they still get horrible reviews. I rarely need battery use, but have a couple trips coming up so would be nice to use during traveling.

Anyone have any experience buying some of the $20 - $25 batteries off of ebay?

Nw Battery for Apple MacBook Pro 15 Inch A1175 MA348G/A MA463 US SELLER | eBay

Those batteries are made with recycled parts and will probably last you a month. A fresh, new battery costs more than $25 bucks to make anything you buy for that price ... well you ain't gonna be happy.

Expect to pay $80-100 for a quality battery. Make sure whatever you buy has a warranty.

OP
T
Reaction score
Another follow up in case anyone finds this thread:

After after 5 months the battery no longer works. Shows that it has a charge, but when I unplug my macbook it turns off.

So if you are looking to buy the cheap ebay ones - unless you need it for a trip or a couple weeks - spend the extra money for an Apple battery.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We found it and thanks for posting back a follow up. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.