Unwanted Calls/Mr. Phone App

Reaction score
I've only had my iPhone a month and I'm constantly getting spam phones calls or calls from collection agencies trying to contact the person who used to have my number. I just heard about an app call Mr. Number that eliminates these problems, but I understand Apple doesn't allow it on iPhones. Android allows it. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've only had my iPhone a month and I'm constantly getting spam phones calls or calls from collection agencies trying to contact the person who used to have my number. I just heard about an app call Mr. Number that eliminates these problems, but I understand Apple doesn't allow it on iPhones. Android allows it. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Get a new number, or swap your iPhone for an Android Phone (though in all honesty I have my doubts on how well APPs like Mr. Number actually work).

There are APPs that purport to do the same thing for iPhone; most require jail breaking. And none, that I am aware of, actually offer any real value. The only way to effectively block unwanted calls is through your Wireless provider.

Your best bet is to have your service provider give you a new phone number.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Contact your carrier and see what they can offer you. If your JUST got this number and aren't porting an old number of yours, you might take the pain of just getting an entirely new unused number to avoid these calls all together..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Getting a new number would be best, however, you can register your phone number on the US no call list for free. It will at least keep the Spam calls away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
The DoNotCall.gov site is worthless. I always received tons of telemarketing calls even though I signed up the whole house. My number, dads, moms, house.. We still get tons of calls that are spam. It's ridiculous. You can try that route but to be honest it doesn't work. I still get collections calls for some guy who had my number before me. I think the companies should be forced to hold the old numbers for 3 or 6 months prior to releasing them again. They should have a recording that the number is invalid so that collectors, etc should be forced to remove that number from their accounts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.