Opening Router browser window

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro. When I directly connect to a router and I type the usual IP address, 192.168.1.1, it always brings up the logon for a WRT54G, which is my home Linksys router. Just yesterday, I was trying to get in to a Cisco (Linksys) 3400, and the same thing happened. When I switched out my laptop with an Asus windows one, I was able to login without a problem.

I was using Chrome and tried clearing the cache. I also tried using Firefox and Safari, also clearing the cache. Why is this happening? and what do I do to correct this issue?

This is not the first time this has happened.

Thanks in advance for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What do you mean the same thing happened, could you clarify

OP
E
Reaction score
By the same thing happens, I mean that when I type the IP address, 192.168.1.1, the screen for the Linksys WRT54g comes up, not the router I am trying to connect to. Yesterday I was trying to connect to a Linksys 3400. But I have also tried to connect to other routers and I get the signon screen for the Linksys WRT54g. I would think clearing the cache would resolve the problem, but it doesn't. Any ideas????

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If the Linksys WRT54G is your home router, what is the Linksys 3400? What IP address does it sit at? Are they both on the same network?

OP
E
Reaction score
I work on computers at other peoples homes and businesses. The linksys 3400 is at a business which is on a different network than my home network. The default IP address for the device is the standard 192.168.1.1

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
So you are connecting to this other network and not in any way communicating with your home network? Clearing the cache should indeed ensure that this problem doesn't happen. How are you clearing the cache BTW? Which browser are you using?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have never seen this before. Probably because I do not often go to the configuration page of multiple routers. Here's the first two possibilities that occurred:

1. Are we sure the routers you are trying to connect to are using the same IP address as yours. Even if that were the default address for the second router has it been changed?

2. Is it possible the browser is loading a cached page from the last time that you connected to it? In other words, if there is a slowdown/problem connecting to the router you are trying to reach yje browser is loading the last cached page with that address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are trying to connect to an external router using a private address

192.168.1.1 will connect you to a local router on your private network (assuming your network is using the 192.168.1.XXX address space)

You will have to activate remote management on that business router and connect to it from its public IP address

OP
E
Reaction score
So you are connecting to this other network and not in any way communicating with your home network? Clearing the cache should indeed ensure that this problem doesn't happen. How are you clearing the cache BTW? Which browser are you using?

I am at a different location from my home so there is no way I am communicating with my home network.

I used 3 different browsers, Chrome, Safari and Firefox and went to the appropriate setting for each particular browser to clear the cache,

Thanks.

OP
E
Reaction score

I have never seen this before. Probably because I do not often go to the configuration page of multiple routers. Here's the first two possibilities that occurred:

1. Are we sure the routers you are trying to connect to are using the same IP address as yours. Even if that were the default address for the second router has it been changed?

2. Is it possible the browser is loading a cached page from the last time that you connected to it? In other words, if there is a slowdown/problem connecting to the router you are trying to reach yje browser is loading the last cached page with that address.

1.They are definitely using the same 192.168.1.1 address as I was successful connecting to the business router with a different windows laptop.

2. I tried 3 different browsers on my laptop: Chrome, Safari and Firefox. I cleared the cache from all three browsers before trying to connect to the router.

Thanks.

OP
E
Reaction score
You are trying to connect to an external router using a private address

192.168.1.1 will connect you to a local router on your private network (assuming your network is using the 192.168.1.XXX address space)

You will have to activate remote management on that business router and connect to it from its public IP address

I am at the business connecting directly, via ethernet cable, to the router. It is not an external router that I am trying to connect to. I am away from my home network.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see now

Myself, I set my home network to 192.168.55.XXX to prevent any clashes using VPN networks

You probably need to set up separate locations in the network preferences to prevent the mac from getting confused as to what network it is on, it's assuming that you are still on your home network since you are probably using the same location preference in network preferences for both networks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How are you connecting to this other router away from home? Hardwired? Wifi? Are you sure there is no other router that is a WRT-54g somewhere at that different location? I can't imaging 3 different browsers doing that after you clear the cache.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get it either. I am hard wired to the router at the business and there are no other routers plugged in at the location. I thought I remember seeing in network preferences a place where I can delete saved networks. Someplace in advanced settings. Of course, I can't seem to find it now. No worries right now as I was able to use a different laptop to do what I wanted. I thought there was some trick that I was missing.

Probably a good idea to set my home network to a different ip address. That would eliminate some of the problem. It's just that most all routers out of the box use the same default IP address of 192.168.1.1. As I work at a lot of different locations, some of which have the Linksys WRT54g, that might not totally alleviate the problem. Fortunately I usually bring a Windows netbook which can bail me out.

Thanks everyone.

Eileen

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is there more than one Router on the work network with the same address of 192.168.1.1? If so that is the issue. Had it here when a router somehow got reset to factory and I had 2 using the same IP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder what would happen if you disconnect the router from everything except your Mac. Does it still show your home Linksys?

With 3 different browsers this should not be happening.

OP
E
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if you disconnect the router from everything except your Mac. Does it still show your home Linksys?

With 3 different browsers this should not be happening.

When I was trying to access the browser page, the only thing connected was my computer and the cable to the internet.

Yes, it is weird that this is happening.

Thanks.

Eileen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.