Cases for the new Macbook pro Retina display

Reaction score
Im looking for a good case to buy for this laptop. Nothing fancy, just something sleek and simple.

Anyone has suggestions?

Reaction score
Reaction score
@weissman: You don' think that this type of case will, in effect, thermally insulate the laptop and hamper heat disbursement? I know it says that the case has cut-outs for the laptop's vents, but isn't the entire laptop outer structure itself a heatsink?

Reaction score
@weissman: You don' think that this type of case will, in effect, thermally insulate the laptop and hamper heat disbursement? I know it says that the case has cut-outs for the laptop's vents, but isn't the entire laptop outer structure itself a heatsink?

Hello, I stress the computer pretty hard at times and it doesn't affect the heat disipation. There are a bunch of vents on the bottom of the case that help it stay cool.

Reaction score
^^I'm surprised to learn that, but it is good news. I rather like those cases.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I have to agree...at least in theory.

If we are talking about hard shell cases (which are usually made of a relatively thick plastic)...they certainly can't be helping things from a heat dissipation standpoint. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum case of the MacBook Pro is a better heat conductor/dissipator than plastic...so the MacBook Pro (by itself) would have to be better at releasing/radiating heat.

But...the question is how much of an effect does the hard shell case have (installed vs. not installed)...and is this effect significant. I have a hard shell case for my MBP...but have never tested my temps with/with out the case.

And of course...the reason why we install hard shell cases is to protect the computer from dents, dings, scratches, etc. Apple laptops are supposed to have built-in features to shut it off automatically if it gets too hot (prevent damage). So I would say...as long as the computer isn't shutting off unexpectedly (with a hard shell case installed)...that everything is fine.:)

- Nick

Reaction score

I have to agree...at least in theory.

If we are talking about hard shell cases (which are usually made of a relatively thick plastic)...they certainly can't be helping things from a heat dissipation standpoint. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum case of the MacBook Pro is a better heat conductor/dissipator than plastic...so the MacBook Pro (by itself) would have to be better at releasing/radiating heat.

But...the question is how much of an effect does the hard shell case have (installed vs. not installed)...and is this effect significant. I have a hard shell case for my MBP...but have never tested my temps with/with out the case.

And of course...the reason why we install hard shell cases is to protect the computer from dents, dings, scratches, etc. Apple laptops are supposed to have built-in features to shut it off automatically if it gets too hot (prevent damage). So I would say...as long as the computer isn't shutting off unexpectedly (with a hard shell case installed)...that everything is fine.:)

- Nick

I will try playing d3 tonight with and without the case on it and record the temps and post them here.

OP
S
Reaction score
i got the case (in black) and its my first macbook pro. I have to say its a really good case. BUt when i play games or watch videos, the top of the mac (space above the F keys) gets really hot. I guess this is normal for macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Im looking for a good case to buy for this laptop. Nothing fancy, just something sleek and simple.

Anyone has suggestions?

Are you trying to prevent scratches, or dents from bumps, falling hammers, and possibly rocks? Here's why I dislike hard cases. They cause static. When it builds up static, it attracts all kinds of tiny crap that ALWAYS seems to find its way in between the plastic and aluminum you are trying to protect. If you put your computer in a school bag, any pressure placed between the plastic and the aluminum will cause the "crap" in between to damage the aluminum. In order to clean this "crap," you have to take the case off, which is held in place by little tabs. These tabs will eventually wear out the aluminum and themselves.
If you don't believe me, there are plenty of stories online you can search.

I've had my own ZAGG Invisible SHIELD on for about 3 years now, and it's still perfect, and obviously has lead to a scratch free MBP. That's what I would advise you to get. If you need protection from hammers, I have no advice to give, because I don't know who makes hammer-proof covers.

Also, it would be a shame to add bulkiness to such a nicely designed computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.