Airport Extreme ethernet port burn out?

Reaction score
Brand new here, but hoping you all may be able to answer a question.

I have an airport extreme that has been running perfectly until today. 2 of the 3 ethernet ports were being used (one was connected to my TV, and the other to an airport express as a repeater). Those two ports stopped working today, and the third (previously unused) port is operating just fine. The wireless network is still up and running just fine. Any idea what could be causing this? Is a new router in order?

Here is the "troubleshooting" I've already done:
Turned off and cycled both the airport extreme and my router multiple times
Turned off the airport to my macbook --> no internet connection (expected)
Connected macbook to Port 1 of extreme --> no internet connection
Disconnect macbook and reconnect to Port 2 of extreme --> no internet connection
Disconnect macbook and reconnect to Port 3 of extreme --> interject connection successful
This lead me to believe the ports were "burned out"... so I connected the TV or Port 3 (the operational port) and the TV connected to the internet just fine (tells me the cable is fine, it's something in Ports 1 and 2 of the router).

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your feedback!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Brand new here, but hoping you all may be able to answer a question.

I have an airport extreme that has been running perfectly until today. 2 of the 3 ethernet ports were being used (one was connected to my TV, and the other to an airport express as a repeater). Those two ports stopped working today, and the third (previously unused) port is operating just fine. The wireless network is still up and running just fine. Any idea what could be causing this? Is a new router in order?

Here is the "troubleshooting" I've already done:
Turned off and cycled both the airport extreme and my router multiple times
Turned off the airport to my macbook --> no internet connection (expected)
Connected macbook to Port 1 of extreme --> no internet connection
Disconnect macbook and reconnect to Port 2 of extreme --> no internet connection
Disconnect macbook and reconnect to Port 3 of extreme --> interject connection successful
This lead me to believe the ports were "burned out"... so I connected the TV or Port 3 (the operational port) and the TV connected to the internet just fine (tells me the cable is fine, it's something in Ports 1 and 2 of the router).

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your feedback!

Hello there,
Have you tried to 'reset' the router? A power down is basically a reboot which drains off capacitors beforehand but a reset will clear lots of things up just make sure that you have all your connection settings and passwords to hand.

Normally there will be a hole at the back of your router with the word 'Reset' near it, use a paperclip and hold it in for 10 to 15 secs whilst the router is on. Check your router's manual out for instructions on how to perform this, or how restore to factory default.

Another thing people often miss is keeping the firmware up to date so perform this task also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.