MacBook Pro Retina - WiFi Issues

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to these forums (and Mac products!) so apologies if i may have posted this in the wrong place.

I got my new retina display MacBook pro (top of the range one) last week and ever since, i have been having serious issues with the WiFi. The signal strength is always at full bar, but my connections just seems to randomly drop out sometimes. eg. loading mail - stops loading. Watching youtube vid - stops loading in the middle. Playing a game online - drops connection.

I checked my WiFi diagnostics and noticed that my BSSID was changing occasionally so i set my IP address as opposed to using DHCP, which seemed to alleviate the problem, but it has since returned to a lesser degree and now i am getting no changes in BSSID.

Anyone had this problem, or can advise me what i can do to check what is actually happening?

Thanks in advance for any help
Andy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, don't use a dedicated IP address as that will only cause problems. Go back to DHCP.

It sounds like you may be in an area where there is interference from other networks. Download the free iStumbler application, install it, and take a look at what other networks are in your locale and note which channels they're using. Then adjust your router accordingly. Use a channel that's as far as possible from the others. Make sure your router is broadcasting the SSID (network name).

Also, do not use weak encryption (WEP) as it's unstable and not very secure. Use WPA2 and a strong password or phrase.

JGH

Reaction score
Wifi Issues.

Have then same new retina Mac and is experiencing the same problems with my wireless connection, all other hardware (old MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad and normal PC)is not having this issue connected to my router!
Have looked for new firmware for the router and the linksysforum for known issues.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Not sure if that might be the same issue as some 27" 2011 (and in this case also my) iMac have. Same thing: Full signal strength and it just randomly kept dropping. Checking the Console I noticed a funky message, every time the wifi cut out (don't recall what exactly that was, but I can look it up at home).

Anyway - creating a new location under the network preferences and using this location totally fixed it for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.