Getting Started in Digital Photography

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I have a Canon G6 camera. I have had this for a number of years but always used it on Auto to take photos. It does a great job. I have just recently started leaning about all the other settings that can be used to take photos in dim and bright light. Settings for when the subject is moving. I can really see the need for better telephoto lens.

I have been looking at new cameras. Looking at Canon i3 Rebel and Nikon 5100D. With two lenses. A 18 to 55mm and a telephoto lenses at 200mm to 300mm. Is this the best choice for me to get into taking good photos? Or should I look at other options?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
In some ways choosing a camera is like choosing a wife. There is a LOT to consider. I am linking to a BLOG article I did recently. Most of the info in it is very basic but may be helpful.

Up front, I would say that if you really want to get into this, you should be looking at it as choosing a system, rather than choosing a camera. If you go the DSLR or Mirrorless route your major investment will be in lenses, so that needs to factor into your decision, along with handling (a significant issue) etc etc.

Choosing a Digital Camera | Mac-Forums Blog

HTH
Razormac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In some ways choosing a camera is like choosing a wife. There is a LOT to consider.

Ha ha...interesting analogy!;)

Unlike a digital camera...we don't get to upgrade the wife to a newer model every 2-3 years!;);)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
While the article covers a lot, and is decently informative, the one thing it, and all the others I have read recently, is it really only focuses (pun not intended) on the camera.

The camera bodies (SLR's only here) are changing so fast there is no way to really keep up them for us normal people. Because of that, I recommend looking at the camera body second and put your money into the lens system instead. Quality lenses will make the difference between a snapshot and a photograph. you could have the best camera body in the world, but if you have cheap plastic on the front of it because you spent all your money on the body, you will not be happy with the shots.

Look at the native lens options (Canon EOS EF and Nikon Nikor lenses for instance) and see what the pros are using. See which are getting the sharpest images and the best reviews. Then, look into Canon L glass - there is really nothing else that compares right now. Yes, you pay for them, but you only pay once. I have replaced my camera bodies 3 times in the last 5 years, but my lenses have traveled through with me.

Decide on the lens system first, then look at the bodies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Ha ha...interesting analogy!;)

Unlike a digital camera...we don't get to upgrade the wife to a newer model every 2-3 years!;);)

- Nick

Sure you could - new camera body from the store, new wife's body from the Doc! O:):Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sure you could - new camera body from the store, new wife's body from the Doc! O:):Smirk:

Ahh yes...I forgot about that option!;)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all. Lots to think about. I did some reading on the mirror less cameras. I think I would like the size of them. I need a view finder that would be a deal killer for me. I have tried to take pictures in the sun with a lcd display. Just does not work for me.

The lenses that come with canon and nikon are good lenses right? Or do you need to buy other brands that are better?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Lenses is a major topic all in itself.

Every manufacturer produces some real gems, and those that are far less so. As a result you need to look at each lens as an individual purchase and buy what suits your specific need.

FWIW the "kit lenses" that come with Nikon DSLRs are fairly decent as starter lenses.

Hard to argue with going with a Sony 5N or possibly the F3 though.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up getting a Nikon D5100 with 18-55 af-s vr lens and 55-300 af-s vr lens. These are just kit lenses. I know they are not top of the line but they should help me learn what I like or don't like.

The process of taking good photos is more complicated than I first thought. It looks like fun process. Trying to figure out where to start. Reading the manual now and trying to figure out how to take basic photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Because of that, I recommend looking at the camera body second and put your money into the lens system instead. Quality lenses will make the difference between a snapshot and a photograph.
While I agree with your recommendation to look at the lens system first then choose a body, high quality lenses will not make the difference between a snapshot and a photograph. Lighting, composition and subject are the keys. I have taken excellent photos with my Canon S95 and crap photos with my 60D and 135/2L.

When my son was 12 years old we went to Yosemite Valley one weekend. He got better photos with an old Yashica Mat 124G than some of the dilettantes with their Hasselblad systems. It ain't the toys, it's how you play with them.

To the OP: if you are serious about becoming a good photographer you cannot start at a better place than Ansel Adams' classic series The Camera, The Negative, and The Print. Although the material may seem outdated, the concepts are the same whether you are shooting 4x5 black-and-white film or the latest tech gee-whiz digital camera. John Sexton's Quiet Light is also excellent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.