Copy Bootable Mountain Lion

Reaction score
When Mountain Lion is released I would like to make a bootable USB Copy, can anyone tell me the best way to do it.
Thank you
RP

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We will have to wait till it's out to be sure how to answer this. It should be like Lion but want to be sure before answering. It's reportedly out the 25th so not long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Several of us at MacForums will be getting ML as soon as it breaks and doing this step, so keep an eye on the forum

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you both for your responses, I will await it's release. I assume that it can be copied after installing (upgrading) my Mac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If it is like it was with Lion, your best time to make a copy will be after you purchase and download and before you install.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To add to what Razormac mentioned. You MUST make your bootable USB copy BEFORE installing (if it was like Lion)...since after the install...the downloaded file is auto-deleted.

Many folks (with Lion) waited until after the install to make their backups (DVD or USB)...only to find that they had no file. So the OS file then needed to be re-downloaded. No extra charge...just a bunch of time re-downloading.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
If you are closed to apple store, you can set up an appointment with genius bar
on the day of launch and sign in to mac store, they will download for your within minutes.
make sure you bring your mbp along. Then go home create the bootable drive.
Last time it took me 6 hrs to download at home because of slow internet connection.
Here is the link to create bootable drive
How to Make a Bootable OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion USB Install Drive

OP
R
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the information, I'm sure this thread will also help others who want to do the same.

RP

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you are closed to apple store, you can set up an appointment with genius bar
on the day of launch and sign in to mac store, they will download for your within minutes.
make sure you bring your mbp along. Then go home create the bootable drive.
Last time it took me 6 hrs to download at home because of slow internet connection.
Here is the link to create bootable drive
How to Make a Bootable OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion USB Install Drive

Excellent URL but are they SURE the release will still allow that? My guess is probably yes, but I wanted to be 100% sure before I said anything.

Lion took maybe 3 hours here to download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Excellent URL but are they SURE the release will still allow that? My guess is probably yes, but I wanted to be 100% sure before I said anything.

Lion took maybe 3 hours here to download.

Apple store will allow that they want your $$$.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.