Cannot start macbook pro

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a used mbp from 2007, I just needed this for a programming class and I got a really good deal on it, well I turned it on and the harddrive had been wiped so it opened right into the new screen, I got it up and running, I installed iLife, then Office 11, did an Office 11 update, was in the middle of installing iWork 09, and the screen got really pixelated in random areas, I turned it off and tried to turn it back on and it was freezing and would not load, also it had pixels in random areas, I have done everything that I can find online about anything that is somewhat close and I am at my wit's end. The only thing I can narrow this down to is GPU, logicboard or an outside chance of the HDD itself.

I cannot get it to load from a boot disc which is starting to make me think logic board, but I am really hoping that it is anything else. Thoughts? While going through one of the checks the screen looked like this

IMAG0072.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any chance you can get your money back on the purchase? It does look like the GPU which means a new logic board and that may be more than the machine is worth. In the meantime, try hooking up an external monitor to see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
As chscag says, most likely a GPU problem. Many of the 2.2 and 2.4GHz MacBook Pro's from 2007/8 were troubled with video problems relating the the Nvidia chipset. If confirmed, Apple did cover the logic board replacement FOC for 4 years from the original DOP. Most I see with similar problems or blank screens are now outside the 4 year limit. You could just have been unlucky or the problem could have been intermittent when the MBP was sold.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.