I've gone through 5 Macbook Chargers

Reaction score
For the life of my I can't figure out why I need to go through so many chargers!

1) Was an Apple Magsafe Charger. The standard "T" charger. That one just simply died.

2) Was one of those 3rd party "T" charger. That one made heavy static noise and just died.

3) Was also an Apple Magsafe Charger "T". This one suffered from that stress near the bottom of the "T".

4) Was a 3rd party "L" charger. This one worked beautifully, but like the other, it died.

5) Was an Apple Magsafe Charger "T" that died out.

All of them, except 3, started out with me having to reposition the chargers wire. Eventually, they just ceased to work. I plan on taking number 5 to an Apple Store. But I need to know if anyone else is having my problem? Or if they know what my problem is? I could do without an annoying drive to my nearest Apple Store. :'(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But I need to know if anyone else is having my problem? Or if they know what my problem is? I could do without an annoying drive to my nearest Apple Store. :'(

In all of my experience...I have never heard of anyone going thru 5 chargers with a single computer.

I hate to say it...but I don't think that it's a hardware issue!;) There's either something (bad habits) you're doing that is causing the chargers to fail...or you're a most unlucky person!

I cannot even begin to guess what "bad" computing habits could be causing this...other than general rough handling of the charger & tripping over the cord...over & over & over.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You've tried a number of charger variations with similar results (except the T connector breaking - a known warranty replacement issue). This would lead me to conclude that:
-it's the laptop power management and/or
-it's the power quality running through your home/office and/or
-some sort of user issue physically stressing/bending the cable
I'd suggest taking an Apple T connector version to an Apple Store and seeing if they will replace with an L connector under warranty. If they do, don't stress it and see if it "dies" for some other reason.
Sounds to me like it's not the charger per-se but something else.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
FWIW I have 5 MacBook (and MacBook Pro) chargers and have never had problems with any of them. So I would have to agree your experience is out of the ordinary.

Reaction score
In the same boat!

We've been through at least that many in the last 5 years. We have 3 macbook pros and I think the family put undue pressure on the connector. Using them in bed, moving around, couches, etc. I think the old style held up better. Also thinking wrapping the cords tightly shortens the life span. Had faults at both ends of the power brick. I have pretty much given up hope and basically keep ordering a new one every 9 months to a year. Just bought a rMBP so I won't have to share my charger with anyone else- hopefully the problem is not me! :eek:

Reaction score
I have had similar experiences with macbook power cords. In five years, I have had 7-8? I have lost count. I have had 2-3 Apple products, and other knock offs. The issue is ALWAYS the same. The cord itself breaks at one end or the other. I never wrap the cord. I do not leave it plugged in when I am away from the computer due to fear of issues. Either the cord at the computer end of the cord just breaks, exposing wires.. or once, recently ( With the APPLE power cord I purchased in December) the block that plugs into the wall simply fell apart in my hand as I was plugging it in. I had plastic and little bits of metal on a cord that I had used for about one week.

Incidentally.. my whole house has been rewired over the last few years by a certified electrician. I do not carry my laptop with me anywhere. It lives next to my reading chair, and there is a plug just behind it, so the cord is not over stretched.

I called the APPLE store yesterday with questions about the problem, as I am thinking about getting a new laptop. I wanted to know if this known issue of crappy power cords had been addressed. I first spoke to someone in sales. He transferred me to a customer service person who spoke to me condescendingly and then hung up when I asked his name. Wow.

Anyone have thoughts on this issue or suggestions for me?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have had similar experiences with macbook power cords. In five years, I have had 7-8? I have lost count. I have had 2-3 Apple products, and other knock offs. The issue is ALWAYS the same. The cord itself breaks at one end or the other. I never wrap the cord. I do not leave it plugged in when I am away from the computer due to fear of issues. Either the cord at the computer end of the cord just breaks, exposing wires.. or once, recently ( With the APPLE power cord I purchased in December) the block that plugs into the wall simply fell apart in my hand as I was plugging it in. I had plastic and little bits of metal on a cord that I had used for about one week.

Incidentally.. my whole house has been rewired over the last few years by a certified electrician. I do not carry my laptop with me anywhere. It lives next to my reading chair, and there is a plug just behind it, so the cord is not over stretched.

I called the APPLE store yesterday with questions about the problem, as I am thinking about getting a new laptop. I wanted to know if this known issue of crappy power cords had been addressed. I first spoke to someone in sales. He transferred me to a customer service person who spoke to me condescendingly and then hung up when I asked his name. Wow.

I've owned probably 5-6 of these power adapters in their various generations (the standard T-fitting, large 85W adapter, the smaller 85W adapter, again with the T-Fitting, and now the L-fitting cords). I've yet to have one break or lead to exposed wiring, though I will agree that due to the cable thickness/design, I can certainly see where they might be more delicate than the average laptop power adapter.

One thing that comes to mind - do you often wrap the cords around the included flip-out hooks? If so, are you careful to not tightly wrap the cord?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have had similar experiences with macbook power cords. In five years, I have had 7-8? I have lost count.

The cord itself breaks at one end or the other. I never wrap the cord. I do not leave it plugged in when I am away from the computer due to fear of issues. Either the cord at the computer end of the cord just breaks, exposing wires..

No matter how careful you say you're being with your chargers...you're doing something that is "abusive" to them. 7-8 chargers in 5 years is totally something user related.

I'm not saying that these chargers are "bullet-proof"...or that someone may occasionally have to get a new charger if they have an accident. But I have had way too much experience with these magsafe chargers to know that 7-8 chargers in 5 years is TOTALLY something user-related...ESPECIALLY if like you say...your computer is not carried anywhere.

Too many of us frequently travel with our MacBooks/MacBook Pros/MacBook Airs:

- in & out of a bag each day for work
- in & out of the car each day
- in & out of a computer bag when going thru airport security
- in & out of a computer bag at an airport terminal, Starbuck's, school during classes, etc. etc.

...and none of us are going thru 7-8 magsafe chargers in 5 years.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Heck, mine gets kicked/knocked/pulled out of my MBP 3-6 times a day (love you apple for this invention/innovation) and the cord still looks the same and works flawlessly as it did the day i got it, apart from dirt marks from it laying across a thorough fare.
Something is surely amiss.

Reaction score
I never wrap it. Not ever. I leave it on the table. It is sometimes curled a little, but unplugged and not stretched or bent. ALL of the replacement charges on the APPLE site have 1.5 or 2 stars, so I have to believe it isn't just me. Who is giving those low ratings?

I work in a library. I do not take my laptop. When I travel, I take my nook or iPad for accessing the internet.

The L fitting cord is the one that fell apart in my hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I still have a working charger from a dead 2006 MBP never had any of my friends have charger problems except internal on the MBP's the externals keep working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blah, blah, blah... Yep, I'm convinced now that Apple sucks, their customer service sucks, and their chargers suck. They could have specifically targeted mckait with defective products and linked those products to mckait in some way such that even customer service is aware of this and is extra rude on the phone. It happens all the time, or only in this mckait's case, whichever makes you feel more righteous or vindicated. Whatever the issue is, it doesn't sound like there is a solution for you mckait. You are just plain screwed because either Apple sucks intentionally or out of incompetence or greed, or because you are just uniquely special in how unfair life and luck are to you in this regard. Not sure there is much else to say. Personally, I'd suggest just selling your Mac and getting some other computer so Apple quits targeting you with their inferior products and vapid support personnel. Good luck.

Reaction score
Well actually Senior member... my whole point is that that I want a new macbook air. I am concerned about the power cords. You are quite the ***, aren't you? Perhaps you were the customer service agent that I spoke with who hung up when I asked for suggestions? I have two iPhones, an iPad and an iPod touch. None of these have ever given me a problem with their power cords. Being semi-retired and on a much lower income now, I am concerned about the issue. And your comment ignores mine, about the 1.5 and 2 star reviews. You simply took the opportunity to be unkind. Good for you. I hope it made you feel good, or at least powerful. That type of behavior is often connected to other inadequacies. Shame that..

I certainly hope that some of your other 3,000 plus posts were more helpful.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ALL of the replacement charges on the APPLE site have 1.5 or 2 stars, so I have to believe it isn't just me. Who is giving those low ratings?

What you're not considering is..for every negative complaint...there are probably 1000 people who have no complaints. Also...among the folks that who are complaining how many of them really are abusing their chargers. If a product is abused...it should be expected to fail.

The bottom line is. These magsafe chargers aren't perfect (just like any product)...but many many many folks do not have problems with them.

And in this case...if your computer stays put & never goes anywhere...how the heck are 7-8 chargers going bad in a 5 year period??

There is only one answer...end-user misuse:

- dropping the charger onto hard surfaces
- tripping over the charger cord
- improperly or roughly plugging & unplugging the charger
- etc. etc.

* Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not leave it plugged in when I am away from the computer due to fear of issues.

I would also add...STOP doing what you mentioned and I quoted above! Unplugging the computers charger every time you are away from it is a REALLY good way to increase the potential for damage to the charger.

Simply for the reason that the charger is being touched. Every time the charger is touched...the potential for damage is present...because no one is perfect. If the charger is unplugging improperly just one time...BAMM...the potential for a dead or broken charger is there.

Do you unplug these items everytime you're away from them??:

- microwaves
- televisions
- electric clocks
- toasters
- can opener
- table lamps
- phones
- etc. etc.

You don't need to unplug the computer either! If your computer goes nowhere...keep the computer plugged in...and keep your hands off the charger!

All this unplugging & plugging in of your computer is just what I said previously..."end-user abuse". It may not seem like "abuse"...but it seems that something you're doing when unplugging & plugging in your charger is not good for the charger.

Given your history with these chargers...the chargers will last longer this way!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
My wife has a mac and her second charger has just died on her.

We are looking at whether or not we will have to replace it (and continue replacing it a handful of times) for the cost of a few hundred quid over the next few years, or do something else. I personally have an acer which only cost me a few hundred quid and suits me fine. If we did this instead we would also have the option to sell her mac and hopefully get enough money for a disco.

This charger thing is ridiculous, even if the issue is user related I don't think she manhandles her charger any more than i do mine (a moderate amount of fair use). What happened to the customer is always right? It shouldn't be our fault that apple can't produce something robust enough to withstand everyday use.

What you're not considering is..for every negative complaint...there are probably 1000 people who have no complaints. Also...among the folks that who are complaining how many of them really are abusing their chargers. If a product is abused...it should be expected to fail.

I take your point, but then following your argument you would expect low ratings accross the industry for other chargers. I've not seen any other adapter been targeted in the same way. It seems to me that Apple are more notorious for this than any other company? This may be because they put themselves forward as better designers and so there is backlash, but i would think there must be some truth to the fact that these adapters aren't as fit for purpose as your run of the mill one, and yet cost at least twice as much.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While my wife is still using the original power adapter that came with her mid '07 model...

I have gone through at least 1 a year on my '06 model and the one for my mid '11 MBA totally came unwrapped exposing bare wiring where it plugs into the computer in about 15 months. Exactly the same issue I've had on every single one of them. The outer protective casing becomes detached from the plug, exposing the wiring.

My wife's notebook sits on a stand and the cord is unplugged &/or moved "maybe" once a month.

Mine, well, it gets used, being moved around unplugged/plugged multiple times a day.
I don't agree, given even with my hard use that with a notebook these cords should be classified as a 1 yr life span cord and that's what they are.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I take your point, but then following your argument you would expect low ratings accross the industry for other chargers.

You do, but few OEMs use the same chargers as consistently across their line as Apple does. The only example I can think of where the same adapter is nearly always used is Dell - and actually, their PA-* series gets pretty consistently low ratings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.