iPad 2 - Customising home screen

Reaction score
I'm trying to customise my home screen by :-

1. Putting my most used icons in the dock
2. Moving the rest of the icons to a 2nd panel.

This gives me a clear home screen - except for the dock - and I can swipe to the 2nd panel to access the other icons that I moved there.

The user guide says that if you then press the Home button (after completing your preference changes) these new settings will be saved.

This is fine, provided I don't power off.

However, after switching the iPad off (power off), when restarting the iPad, the dock shows the icons I moved there are still there BUT the icons I moved to to a second panel are back to where they were originally - the 1st panel.

Is this to be expected?

David

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you try putting at least one application on the 1st panel and the rest on the 2nd panel and then power cycle and see if that sticks? I imagine that during power on iOS is figuring out that there's nothing on the 1st panel and throwing it away, making the 2nd panel the 1st and only panel..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You have to have at least 1 icon on the first screen, as Raz0redge stated. Otherwise it defaults to making the screen with icons the default screen. Save for Jailbreaking (and I dont know if even that works for this) there is no way to have a clear home screen.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Guys - that works.I was thrown by the fact that my dock changes were remembered. Considering that the software remembers changes to the dock it's not particularly good system design to ignore the other changes. ie IF (No of Icons left = 0) THEN (Ignore changes)??? (Having created a second panel in the first place and kept tabs of the no. of icons moved)

Anyway thanks again.:Mischievous:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.