I think my HD crashed - can you help me interpret?

Reaction score
In a matter of about an hour my i7 iMac went from running great, to freezing up (everything but mouse cursor), to not booting. I ran the hardware test and it detected the following error, "4MOT/4/40000003:HDD-1225". I then ran the extended hardware test and it reported the same error but with a slightly higher number on the end, 1239.

I have searched that error message and get posts about harddrive's going bad to various fan's malfunctioning.

Is anyone familiar with that type of error message and do you think a HDD swap would be the fix? I've never had to crack open an imac before but I do have experience swapping parts...

Contemplating using this crash as excuse to install an SSD.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If your iMac is still under AppleCare, you might want to make use of that and see if you can get the HDD replaced or the actual fault diagnosed if it isn't the HDD..

Depending on the year of your iMac, you might have to get specific HDD because of some firmware that was added, the wrong HDD will make the fan spin up and other annoying behavior..

OP
I
Reaction score
If your iMac is still under AppleCare, you might want to make use of that and see if you can get the HDD replaced or the actual fault diagnosed if it isn't the HDD..

Depending on the year of your iMac, you might have to get specific HDD because of some firmware that was added, the wrong HDD will make the fan spin up and other annoying behavior..

Thanks for the reply. I should have noted that the computer is no longer under apple care. Also, data recovery is not required due to external backup.

I'm just hoping someone might be able to confirm that the error code really just pertains to the HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If this came with Lion go into Recovery, select the hard drive and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. If Snow Leopard use the DVD by booting holding down 'C', into Utilities in the Menu Bar, select Disk utility and again run Repair Disk. Keep us posted?

OP
I
Reaction score
If this came with Lion go into Recovery, select the hard drive and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. If Snow Leopard use the DVD by booting holding down 'C', into Utilities in the Menu Bar, select Disk utility and again run Repair Disk. Keep us posted?

No luck using the original install dvd - computer freezes up/attempts to load perpetually when C is held down. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.