Lion does not boot after RAM upgrade, Bootcamp fine

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I just upgraded my MacbookPro (mid-2010 13'') to 8GB of RAM. The original RAM was DDR3-1066 and the new one is 1333. Downclocked to 1066 is has the same latency as the original one and I've done that countless times on other laptops and desktops. Bootcamp is working fine with W7 X64. The ram is recognized correctly and no issues.

However, Lion doesn't boot at all (freezes on the loading screen). Same happens with the recovery partition.

EDIT: If I use 1 of my old sticks with 1 of the new it works fine. Does that mean OS X can't downclock RAM by itself? I was pretty sure this was handled by the CPU Chipset itself...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
ram chips are sensitive to apple mbp, if it gets confused, it does weird stuff, better stay with your dedicated number. check crucial.com see the right chips for your mbp.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah just did some reseach. The MBP 13'' Mid 2010 EFI can't downlock RAM on its own. Utterly stupid. It's working on Windows.... I've tried flashing the RAM to 1066 but this model is write protected. Meh. Just lost 20 shipping bucks on a totally stupid design choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion check out a Mac supplier such as OWC, get the full description of the memory modules, and shop around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.