• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

final cut pro x and avchd

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm thinking about upgrading to FCPX from iMovie '11 and have a couple of questions.

First, does anybody have a book they can recommend? I tried looking to see if the "For Dummies" series has a book but it doesn't look like they do. I only found a handful on amazon and they all seem to have only 3 of 3.5 star ratings so I'm hoping maybe someone has a specific recommendation for my situation.

I guess I'm mainly looking to make the switch because I want to be able to edit natively in HD video. I have a Canon HF-M41 and it records in HD but when I import it into iMovie ''11, it down converts it. I'm not sure to what but I don't believe it full HD anymore. Of course, once you're finish with your project in iMovie, then you can export it to iDVD and of course, the dvd is not hd quality. Therefore, I'm looking to us FCPX to keep the entire process in HD, which leads to my second question.

Does anybody had an external blu-ray burner they can recommend?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
iMovie converts to AIC codec for editing purposes...it does not down-convert and will export the video in either 720p or 1080p depending on source video...the final render should look great....mine does...FWIW

OP
H
Reaction score
iMovie converts to AIC codec for editing purposes...it does not down-convert and will export the video in either 720p or 1080p depending on source video...the final render should look great....mine does...FWIW

When you say export to 720p or 1080p or i, are you referring to finalizing your project and then say exporting it to ipad 2 or appletv because iDVD won't be ble to create a dvd in 720p ot 1080i or p?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...You cannot create an iDVD with those resolutions...you mentioned an external Blu Ray...Also, if you want to edit naitively in FCP X...make sure you have the horsepower once you start adding transitions, effects, or third party plugins...That's one of the benefits of iMovie...it won't grind to a halt on a lower spec'd machine...depending on your needs of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro i7 2,4 Ghz + MacBook Pro 2,6 Ghz 15" - iMac 27" i5 2,7 Ghz - Cinema Display 24" - ATV 16
Reaction score
Final Cut X

Hello, there is a very good book from the Apple Pro Training Series by Diana Weynand called "Apple Pro Training Series-Final Cut Pro X". It is available from Peachpit Press.

My experience with the series was with the Final Cut Pro 7 book. I found it easy to read and the practical lessons with the enclosed dvd were very helpful.

Happy editing.

Murman

Reaction score
Related question:

(I am a complete newbie regarding video editing. I'm an audio pro literally just starting out with video.)

I know that FCP-X (which I have) can work natively with AVCHD. However, is it wiser to pre-convert the video to MOV, or whatever? (I think Neoscene does this, yes?)

If one had the HD space, and let Neoscene do it's thing overnight, would it then be a more pleasant experience when doing the actual FCP editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Optimize video on import...which will take a little longer initially, but after the import ,you'll be ready to roll....Don't see the need to convert the video at all.

Reaction score
Excellent, thanks!

That means I also don't have to store a ton of larger data until it's actually needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.