GTA: San Andreas on Mac without optical drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (2011), i5 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM; MacBook Pro 5,1, 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD
I've just discovered that Apple's Remote Disc feature isn't compatible with SecuROM :Grimmace:, which is pretty darn annoying considering I've just down-sized to a Mac mini (2011) that has no optical drive. I found out after installing GTA: San Andreas from the GTA: Trilogy DVD (see here).

The good news is that there are more than a few no-CD patches for GTA: San Andreas for PC, and the Mac version is just the PC version in a Cider wrapper. I've tried a few, though, with no luck so far. Does anyone know for sure which no-CD patch will work with the latest version for Mac? Bear in mind it received an update recently.

I'm being patient and playing GTA: VC in the meantime, but I'd prefer to be back in good ol' San Andreas! :)

Cheers!!!

PS: I read the community guidelines, and I don't believe I'm breaking the following rule: "Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity." So far as I'm concerned, it's Rockstar and SecuROM that are breaking the law by denying me the right to play a legitimate copy of their game on a valid Mac. But if you disagree, please tell me before banning me! Ta :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
PS: I read the community guidelines, and I don't believe I'm breaking the following rule: "Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity." So far as I'm concerned, it's Rockstar and SecuROM that are breaking the law by denying me the right to play a legitimate copy of their game on a valid Mac. But if you disagree, please tell me before banning me! Ta :)
It's not Rockstar's fault that you don't have an optical drive when you purchased the game on optical media. Regardless, no-CD patches circumvent check mechanisms in the game and are effectively circumventing techniques which are in place. Thus, we won't be able to offer assistance.

However, we can help with the problem by offering alternatives. If you can, return the game and get it from a digital distributor such as Steam (it's also much cheaper here and purchasing it through Steam lets you play it in Windows and OS X).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.