Airport Express speed

Reaction score
I have the new Airport Express and an IMAC with MacOS X.
I ran a speedtest on speedtest.net - on download I get about half the speed I have with wired connection (approx. 40Mbps with wire), and on upload a lot less.
Could it be that Airport Express is limiting the speed or maybe my IMAC's network interface?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Anything else connected to the Express? How far away are the iMac and the Express. How is the Express connected? Distance, interference, devices running 802.11b/g - can all affect how fast your wireless will run.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do not compare your speed between wireless and wired. The wired will almost always (with very few exceptions) be significantly faster than wireless. Wireless is prone to interference of all sorts and a lot of things affect performance..

If you watch any wireless network traffic you'll see a lot of drops and re-transmission which is expected..

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay!
Should one expect such a difference (less than half the speed for wired) even if the Express is right beside the Mac, and there's nothing else connected to it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.