Wifi switching on and off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2GHz core i3. iphone 5. iPod classic 160g. macbook air 13" . apple tv.
Hi All
I am having problems with my wifi connection, after reading a post by puedeba2004 I'm pretty sure its the same type of problem. The sequence i am going through is exact. Just to give a bit more info the problem is only happening on my 2011 iMac 27". I also have a MBA iPhone 4 and iPad. The only thing that has changed is that I have moved the iMac to another part of the room. The wifi is from a SKY router, help would be appreciated thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you fully describe the problem you're having please or a least a link to the post you're referring to.

OP
f1mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2GHz core i3. iphone 5. iPod classic 160g. macbook air 13" . apple tv.
Hi mrplow Ok i have just copied from another post but this is exactly whats happening to me the only difference is my provider is sky. ( I get the message "Unable to connect to the Internet.
I go to "system preferences" "network"
It shows Wifi connected with a green light
I click on Assist me. Diagnostics
All 6 green buttons including network status are lit.
I click Continue
It asks me to select the wireless network to join
I click on 2wire222, which is my network
It joins the network and gives the message "Your internet appears to be working correctly."
Then I have internet connectivity.)As soon as i start looking at a few pages it goes off then it may come back on on its own otherwise i just click the wifi symbol on the top info bar and choose sky and it comes back on then. The signal strength look good it just doesn't want to stay connected. I hope this helps..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you just losing your connection to the internet or your connection to the router?

If you move the iMac back to where it was does the problem go away?

OP
f1mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, the rest of my gadgets are still connected to the internet so it not a router problem i don't think. I was going to try moving the mac back to the original possition and see what happens, bearing in mind i am using my mba right now on the same desk as the iMac and the wifi is fine on that ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so it's your connection to the router that's at fault. If the location is the ONLY thing that's changed then it has to be the location.

Download iStumbler. Run it and see if any wireless networks around you are using similar channels. It'll show you a display with your network and others and the channels used. If you are overlapping with neighbouring networks log into your router and change the channl to be as far away from others as possible.
I'm pretty familiar with the Sky routers so if you don't know how to do this post back and let me know.

OP
f1mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi mrplow
Thank you for your advice just home from work now, turned mac back on and for the last half hour its been fine. If i suffer the same problems again i shall return to your advice and let you know how i get on. So a big thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.