New To Imac and in need of a little help/info

D

Dennis L

I just recently purchased an imac G3 333mhz and all it has is a CD rom drive...i see super drives on ebay and other web sites but am wondering if i order a super drive will it work with my mac? and currently its running OS 9 ...which version of OS X can i upgrade to? and is it easy to partition a new hard drive? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Why not just get an external and use patchburn if you plan on upgrading to OSX?

OP
D

Dennis L

hondagus87 said:
Why not just get an external and use patchburn if you plan on upgrading to OSX?
i was wondering about the super drive because ive read that it can read/write every thing from DVD ram to Cd-r and i can geta super drive for under $50 , an external CD R/RW's an external DVd r/rw's go between $70 and $150

Reaction score
The tray loading imac takes a special cd drive, you cant slap any old aftermarket cd drive into it. MCE makes one that fits:http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

A 333 G3 imac can run up to Panther 10.3.9
Remember you need to partition so that you have the first partition at just under 8 gig to install OS X.

OP
D

Dennis L

cradom said:
The tray loading imac takes a special cd drive, you cant slap any old aftermarket cd drive into it. MCE makes one that fits:http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

A 333 G3 imac can run up to Panther 10.3.9
Remember you need to partition so that you have the first partition at just under 8 gig to install OS X.
i was looking at slot loading super drives on ebay...would one of them work?

OP
I

ISD

So how far can a G3 350mhz be upgraded to? It currently has 64mb RAM, but I know it needs more ;)

OP
B

Badger

Dennis L said:
i was looking at slot loading super drives on ebay...would one of them work?

Probably not. As mentioned, the tray-load CD drives used in these models was specific to the iMac, shared only with the powerbook. The slot-load drive used on later iMacs is not interchangeable. The current MCE replacement model for the 333 rev D is a slot-load BUT it is a CD-RW, not a Superdrive. You are probably limited to an external drive if you want a superdrive.

OP
D

Dennis L

Badger said:
Probably not. As mentioned, the tray-load CD drives used in these models was specific to the iMac, shared only with the powerbook. The slot-load drive used on later iMacs is not interchangeable. The current MCE replacement model for the 333 rev D is a slot-load BUT it is a CD-RW, not a Superdrive. You are probably limited to an external drive if you want a superdrive.

I did some looking around, there seems to be quite a few powerbook DVD/ CD tray loading drives...would one of them work? heres a link to one of them, there are identical ones around...atleast 20 or so more http://cgi.ebay.com/Drive-SuperDriv...ryZ51039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And i was wondering...if i got a cat 5 cross over cable, would i be able to network os x panther with windows 2000 pro?

OP
B

Badger

The drive shown is much too big to mount in an iMac G3. You could put it in an external USB case but it would never fit inside an iMac. Check out this site: http://www.djonmac.com/index.html. Look at the section on replacing the hard drive. It has some pics of the internal components.

OP
B

Badger

I can't find any specific info for this swap so I can't give you an absolute yes or no but it looks good. The original iMacs were never designed for a DVD-ROM so it may not work, even if it installs. If it were mine I'd give it a shot. You'll have to use the brackets & faceplate from the existing drive but that shouldn't be a problem.

Reaction score
Have you taken the old one out yet? Compare it to the pics you've been posting, will make things a lot easier.

OP
D

Dennis L

cradom said:
Have you taken the old one out yet? Compare it to the pics you've been posting, will make things a lot easier.
i havent even gotten it in yet...i oredered it on ebay, im waiting for it though

OP
D

Dennis L

Badger said:
The slot-loaders and tray-loaders use different drives. To see what the drive looks like: http://www.shrevesystems.com/drives.html. Go about halfway down in the right column; there is a combo drive for the slot-loaders.

that site shows no drives i need,,,and i just got an imac g3 400 only problem...CD drive doesnt like ejecting the discs ... and i want to upgrade the CD drive to a DVD rom...cant find any though

OP
B

Badger

Isn't that what you want "Internal Slot Loading DVD Player for iMac or G4 Cube?"

OP
D

Dennis L

Dennis L said:
that site shows no drives i need,,,and i just got an imac g3 400 only problem...CD drive doesnt like ejecting the discs ... and i want to upgrade the CD drive to a DVD rom...cant find any though
whoops...sorry i must have missed that when i looked at it earlier

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.