mac osx 10.6 noot booting from external hard drive on some computers

Reaction score
i have an external hard drive that i wanted to use for ppc applications. i installed sl 10.6 on it and get a kernel panic when trying to boot from it on some of my macs. it will not boot my i mac or mac mini with a 2.66 ghz processor while it boots on every other intel mac i have. please help i do not understand why this occurs. (i do not know if the processor is the reason, it is the one thing i found in common with the ones that will not boot from it)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i have an external hard drive that i wanted to use for ppc applications. i installed sl 10.6 on it and get a kernel panic when trying to boot from it on some of my macs. it will not boot my i mac or mac mini with a 2.66 ghz processor while it boots on every other one. please help i do not understand why this occurs.

What exact version of 10.6 is it...and what exact model iMac and Mac-Mini do you have?

Also realize that in order to run PPC applications under OS 10.6...you need to have "Rosetta" installed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
it is version 10.6.6. i have a 2010 mac mini and a 2007 imac. is that descriptive enough? i do not want to upgrade the os to 10.6.8 on another computer because i heard that this might cripple the operating system. is this true? thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No that is not true just more legend and myth from the 'net. Intel Macs are capable of booting from USB, PowerPC computers as a rule of thumb must use Firewire. PowerPC iMacs continued up until the end of March 2006. Also booting problems present on external drives if not in the proper Partition Option, GUID for Intel, MAP for PowerPC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.