Macbook Pro Care

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have owned my Macbook Pro Lion for about a year and I'm still relatively new to Mac products previously being a heavy Windows user.

What I'm asking is, "what can I do to prolong the entire life of my Mac?" Generally speaking, I'm wanting to know what things will help my laptop last longer.

Some things I do are turn it off at night rather than leaving it on standby, removing the charger when it's fully charged, having a hard case for the outside etc.

Rather than Googling 'macbook pro lion care' and getting hit with a bunch of products I should buy, I figured that I should post here and ask the experts.

Thanks ahead of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Suggestions:

1. Download and use Onyx for OS X.7. Version 2.4.7 is the go:-

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

2. Avoid MacKeeper like the very plague.

3. Safe browsing practices overcome malware and in Safari Preferences > General make doubly sure the 'Open safe files' is not selected.

4. Use Adblock or similar to keep those pesky pops at bay.

5. If you run Windows on your MBP download Microsoft Security Essentials, a free program.

6. If you must run an AV program download CLAMXav also freeware.

Most senior members here do not run any form of AV software on their Macs as there are no Mac OS X viruses.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...having a hard case for the outside etc.

Out of everything you mentioned...getting some sort of external protection is the only thing I see that would have an impact...and this impact would mostly be on the cosmetic condition of the computer...rather than something that would impact the "life" of the computer.

Although...under the proper conditions...a hard shell case could offer some protection from liquid spillage or drops/falls.

Protecting the computer from cosmetic damage would be the most beneficial when selling the computer...since most folks don't like buying a used computer (especially MacBook Pro's) that are all full of dents, dings, scratches, etc.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
As above all stated. Keep it away from all liquids! Plus I have a Speck case(satin black) on my MBP. Should the day arise, someone will be one fortunate buyer.

OP
B
Reaction score
Great! I really appreciate the advice!

I downloaded OnyX and Adblock, both seem to come in handy. harryb2448, any tips with OnyX?

Definitely some cosmetic damage to the thing after a year, so I think I will invest in a hard case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A hard case is almost a must in my opinion. I sold my 2008 White MacBook for top dollar primarily because it was in spotless condition and covered by a hard case during the 4 years I owned it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got my wife a used 2010 MacBook Pro (upgraded from a white 2009 MacBook) a couple weeks ago. The previous owner always had it in a hardshell case (looked pristine)...which is VERY difficult to say for almost any of the MacBook Pro's after 2 years (that haven't been protected).

On about day 3 of ownership we ordered a hardshell case. It's now been installed...and so it's protected again!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just run the Onyx programs once a month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro, iphone4gs, iPad 3g
MacKeepr and AV

Hello, I was using MacKeeper and made me a caos in my MacBook. The program mentioned above Onyx is for cleanning my Mac from garbage? such as Clean MyMac? I did not understan if I must have or not en AV, and in case i should have one, which is the Best.I shall apreciate your response. Regards to every one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello, I was using MacKeeper and made me a caos in my MacBook. The program mentioned above Onyx is for cleanning my Mac from garbage? such as Clean MyMac? I did not understan if I must have or not en AV, and in case i should have one, which is the Best.I shall apreciate your response. Regards to every one.

Get rid of Mackeeper...and use ONYX.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
What I'm asking is, "what can I do to prolong the entire life of my Mac?" Generally speaking, I'm wanting to know what things will help my laptop last longer.
Lock it in a safe and never use it.

Or, you can use it like any normal person would, and expect to replace it in 3-5 years, depending on your needs.

You could make it last more than 5 years, but even if it does, odds are good you're going to want the latest by then, no matter what kind of shape your current machine is in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.