Same model Macbook Air faster than the other?

Reaction score
My father just received his 13" Macbook Air 2012 i5 with 8 GB of RAM yesterday. I have the same exact model, but for some reason his machine feels "slightly" slower than mine. Is this possible? Or are we both just dead wrong about this.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it's "slightly" slower, I'm going to guess that your observations are purely subjective. No two machines, regardless of specs, are going to perform in exactly the same way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
run software update on the new mbp air, see any improvement.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My father just received his 13" Macbook Air 2012 i5 with 8 GB of RAM yesterday. I have the same exact model, but for some reason his machine feels "slightly" slower than mine. Is this possible? Or are we both just dead wrong about this.

It all depends:

- It depends on what software is installed and used.
- If there are any apps. that load upon startup
- If EXACTLY the same things are performed in each computer to logically & scientifically state that one computer is faster than another.
- and there are other things such as...cache files, permissions, swap files sizes, amount of page-outs, etc. that can affect things (since no two computers are used exactly the same)

Also...DO NOT make this sort of judgement based on doing things via the internet. Internet speeds can & do vary...so if one of these MBA's are being used during a "fast" internet period...and the other during a "slower" internet period...then they will "seem" different.

And just for completeness. The only accurate way to test the speed of two computers is to use a benchmarking program...or have both computers sitting side by side...both setup the same way (specifications)...and both doing EXACTLY the same tasks at the same time. Then using a stopwatch (or possibly visually if the speed difference is that great).

Also...no two computers (even the exact same model & configuration) are EXACTLY the same speed. There will always be very small differences (but this is really more of a technical point than real world).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick responses!

His laptop is not currently home right now, but one of the main differences we noticed was the scrolling on webpages. My scrolling seems to be a lot smoother when navigating the same exact web page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Use a known speed test like Black Magic Disk Speed Test to compare them and let us know how they compare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
That's about right

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
if you click apple menu > about this mac > more info > system report > serial ATA > Link speed is 6 gigabit
then your write speed should be more, so does read speed.
because my core 2 speed is about 200 (write) and 260 (read), mine is SATA 2 ssd.

OP
M
Reaction score
if you click apple menu > about this mac > more info > system report > serial ATA > Link speed is 6 gigabit
then your write speed should be more, so does read speed.
because my core 2 speed is about 200 (write) and 260 (read), mine is SATA 2 ssd.

It reads Link Speed: 6gb. You are saying my speeds should be higher than 230 and 440?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I believe so, should be higher. maybe someone can confirm that with sata 3 drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.