Confusion about Repairs

Reaction score
So, here's the deal. A couple of weeks ago, my MacBook Pro (circa 2009) started heating up to an unseemly degree. It almost became impossible to use it on my lap because the computer was so hot. Coupled with the increased heat, the fan would turn on after little to no work. All I would have open would be a blank Word document and the fan would turn on like I'm editing CGI graphics on it.

So, I turned my computer off to see if the fan was obstructed or if something was making the computer heat up. So, I took the back cover off and lo and behold, there was dust, lint, and skin flakes on the surface. So, I grabbed my 3M air duster and started blowing dust and debris away. Everything looked clean. Then, I put back the cover on my laptop and plugged it in to the charger. I pressed the power button and the computer didn't turn on. My deepest and darkest suspicion was that the cold air from the canister condensed some water vapour and the computer short circuited.

I took it to the Apple store to check it out, and the Geniuses said that they think that the MagSafe or the Logic Board were in need of replacement, and that they would replace it for free, because they had the parts in stock. The next day, they called me and told me that unsalvagable water damage had claimed my laptop, and it would cost around $700 - $800 to repair in some out-of-state depot. I opted out of the repair, considering I had no guarantee that my hard drive would return. When I went to pick up my dead laptop from the Apple Store, I pressed the power button and the laptop turned on with no problems (i.e. keys not working, trackpad not working). I was shocked. They didn't do any repairs.

Apparently, a similar incident occured with my sister's MacBook, but with a lot more water. They said it had to be replaced, but worked when we took it away from the Apple store.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
sounds like the moisture evaporated and your mbp is back to normal. Next time when you blast away your dust and debris, it is advisable to use a slightly wet towel to wipe the dust away and be careful with the moisture.
As long as it works keep using your mbp.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's possible your hypothesis about the "canned air"...that some moisture may have condensed on the MacBook Pro innards...may have been correct.

I know sometimes when you hold the "canned air" at a certain angle...it can shoot out cold/frozen air...especially if the canned air is continuously sprayed (versus just in bursts)...and that this could cause some sort of condensing of moisture (especially if it was very humid in the location where you did it).

Maybe this moisture temporarily caused a problem (non-working laptop)...which the Apple folks discovered as well. But...in the meantime (from initial spraying, Apple diagnosis, and getting the laptop back home)...maybe this moisture had time to dry/evaporate...thus allowing everything to work again.

The key thing here is...the "moisture exposure" happened when the computer was powered off (since you had the computer apart to clean it). If this had happened when the computer was powered up...more serious & permanent damage could have occurred.

It would seem (since the computer is now working)...that the computer needed more time for that moisture to dry/evaporate (more time than it had before taking it to Apple). It was probably a minimal amount of moisture (much less than an actual liquid spill would have deposited)...thus giving it a strong chance of "coming back to life"!:)

Congrats that it's now-working...that's the most important thing!!:):)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
The thing is a year ago, my little brother tipped a huge glass of water on to my sister's computer while it was on. The people at the Apple Store gave us the same runaround as was with my computer. Two days later, it's up and running. In both cases, is there already corrosion that will eventually hinder the performance of the laptops in the future?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The thing is a year ago, my little brother tipped a huge glass of water on to my sister's computer while it was on. The people at the Apple Store gave us the same runaround as was with my computer.

It's really not "the runaround"! There are sensors placed inside of Apple computers that are "triggered" when they have been exposed to excessive moisture (moisture that would not come from "natural" sources such as humidity in the air).

The Applecare warranty DOES NOT cover accidents (including water spills..small or large). So Apple is not giving anyone the "runaround"...since by your statements above...both of these computers were exposed to "unnatural" amounts of moisture not consistent with "normal" everyday computer use. Apple does not repair (for free under warranty) computers that are liquid/moisture damaged.

Two days later, it's up and running.

Hey...in both cases...consider yourself & your sister (especially your sister) VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY (is that enough "very's") LUCKY...that both computer's are both working!!!:):)

In both cases, is there already corrosion that will eventually hinder the performance of the laptops in the future?

No promises...but if they are both working...they're probably fine. You sister's computer (that had the larger liquid spill) would have the higher risk (but still probably a very small risk)...since it is now working & all moisture has probably evaporated.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.